Author Topic: Blooms on small tomato starts  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Rooney

Blooms on small tomato starts
« on: January 09, 2014, 02:15:35 PM »
I have blooms on 2 inch tall tomato starts that were just planted several weeks ago! ???  What would cause this?  I am thinking there is no way a plant that small could produce fruit.  Ever seen this before?

Offline Cheryl

Re: Blooms on small tomato starts
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 02:43:50 PM »
How are your tomato plants doing?  Did you pinch the blooms or leave them?
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:52:27 PM »
The bed of tomato plants I have are growing right along.  The low temperatures seemed to be the problem. I hope this cold snap doesn't stunt their growth again. :P  These plants don't have blooms on them yet, but they are about 18 inches tall now.  The starts I started about a month ago are the ones that  got blooms on them at about 3 inches tall.  I didn't know you were supposed to get rid of the blooms when they did this early.  ??? Can you tell we are beginners? ;) 

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:44:13 PM »
I'd love to have a greenhouse.  Right now I'm using grow lights and it's a challenge keeping the cats out of the seed trays!  ;D
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 11:54:40 AM »
Cheryl, they are like cat magnets.  I am thinking of having my hubby build me a kind of mini indoor greenhouse that would sit on the table with the trays inside. I would put chicken wire on the top instead of glass. My grow light would be inside suspended from the top.  The cats would still want to sit on top of it, but the seedlings would be safe. :)
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 11:57:36 AM »
Andrea - that sounds like it would work!  My cats are into everything.  We have one that loves to shred the toilet paper and paper towels if I leave them where she can get to them.   :D
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn