Author Topic: Turnips-ingredient of the day-12/11/13  (Read 1980 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Turnips-ingredient of the day-12/11/13
« on: December 11, 2013, 08:19:43 AM »
So they're in season and very reasonable right now, but what do you do with them?  I remember my  mom cooking them in dices and that's about it.  I've bought them before several years back and tried mashing them...they were so-so.

Any great recipes or ways of cooking to share?

Offline Proudmama

Re: Turnips-ingredient of the day-12/11/13
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 08:43:37 AM »
I have no fond memories of turnips and have never cooked them.  I know my MIL added them to a vegetable soup last winter and threw the whole thing out because all she could taste was turnips and they didn't taste good!  Helpful, aren't I?

Denise

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 09:33:02 AM »
I'd have to ask my mother.  The turnip cooking stopped there with her. ;D  Seriously, she gave me bags and bags of them last year but we didn't eat them very much.  We boiled and mashed them like potatoes but nobody here liked them.  The chickens loved them! :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline RenKnitter

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Living in the South, everyone I knew ate the Greens, not the turnip.  My mother would sometimes cut up the turnip and cook it in the greens, but not very often.  She would sometimes mash them like potatoes, but again, not very often.  This has made me think, because my parents were very frugal and would eat everything that they grew, but they must have thrown away the turnips, because we had lots of turnip greens, but not many turnips!

BTW, I once read in a Little House book that the Ingals would eat the turnips and feed the greens to the cow and pigs.  I told my parents this, because I don't care for turnip greens, and they said "Well, what do you expect from Yankees?  They didn't know what they were missing".

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 02:55:49 PM »
We do not eat turnips but enjoy the greens.

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 06:18:07 PM »
I dice them and put them in soups and stews (I hide them among the potatoes)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »
Wow am I the only one who likes them?  If you get them young, (or grow them and pick young) they have a very mild flavor.  I dice and saute them, boil and mash, toss into soups, or slice and fry them.
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 07:26:44 AM »
Shelly, you aren't the only one. I boil and mash them with butter.  When my SIL makes them she adds a bit of cinnamon and they are good that way. They are also good cut up raw with dip on a veggie tray.
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline Craftymom

• Debbie from Central Illinois
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 07:10:07 AM »
I recently bought a spiralizer and I make "noodles" with them.  I really like them and the texture is wonderful in that form.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 08:04:09 AM »
I recently bought a spiralizer and I make "noodles" with them.  I really like them and the texture is wonderful in that form.

Oh, will have to try that.  I love my spiralizer for zucchini noodles, but of course it's the wrong season for zucchini.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »
Ok, I've changed my mind about turnips.  My parents gave us another bag full of them on Sunday and I cooked some for supper.  I peeled them, diced them, and boiled them like I would potatoes.  When tender, I drained the water and mashed them with butter, salt, and pepper.  This time around we all liked them. :o   :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn