Author Topic: My Landlord  (Read 3694 times)

Offline bobbie78

My Landlord
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:00:55 PM »
I've rented off of the same lady for 10 years. In October 2012, I moved, but still have the same landlady.  She has always been on top of any thing we needed fixed, etc.  Well when we moved here, there was alot of work that needed to be done. A LOT. We have fixed this place up using our money. We've painted, fixed windows, put in flooring, replaced a front porch and a back deck, plumbing work. You name it, we've done it. She usually rented this place out for 100 dollars more than what we rent it for. And we understood we were to fix it up to an extent. Well we have done that. Our back door is a sliding set of glass doors. The people who previously lived here had broken them. Our landlady told us she couldnt afford to fix them for us to ''repair them''. Well Chad has tried to repair them numerous times. Each time we think they are fixed they only break again. The previous tennant's son had locked himself out of the home numerous times and would pull on the door with all his might until it opened. When we first moved in, we came home one evening to find the door had unlocked on its own and was open.  There is about a 1 inch crack between the two doors that lets in cold air. We told her about this. She told us to ''stuff pillows'' in it. We taped a blanket over it. I keep a basket beside the door for my dirty dish clothes until I am able to wash them. Well, last night, they were frozen to the basket. We have blankets hanging over this door. My electric bill is higher. Could be the obvious-we've had a rough winter. BUT, I know this door isnt helping anything. When I go to the kitchen to cook or clean, I have to wear shoes because its so cold.  Also, the door that opens is falling off the fixture. My sister and pregnant niece came out for a visit. My niece walked in first, then my sister. When my sister turned around to shut the door, it fell off and knocked her into my kitchen table. We have told her that we do not have the money to replace them and we obviously dont have the know-how to fix it. My dad says its beyond repair.  I called her December 15 to complain about the door. I left her a lengthy message and she didnt even bother to call me back. Well when it came time for the rent, she called. We told her about this. I told her about it knocking my sister into the table. She sounded worried, told us she would have a man come out and put new doors in. She didnt bother to get out of her car to come and look at the door. This was January 3. We still have not heard from her or seen a man with a new set of doors. We called her Friday because the door fell on Chad. I have yet to hear from her. Everyone tells us to turn her in or not pay the rent. I dont know what to do. While I feel that she should fix it or replace it, I do understand that I am living on her property and still have to pay the rent. But how can I get this hazardous door fixed and still be on good terms with my landlord? If you've followed this lengthy post so far and have an opinion I would love to hear it!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
Re: My Landlord
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »
Do you have any sort of lease that you all signed and does this lady go through a rental management company or are you renting directly?

I’d look up your local rental laws and follow them. There’s usually an official way to get a repair done. Some locations only govern repairs of essentials like plumbing, electrical, and heat/AC.  Also check your lease if you signed one.  Sometimes they say whether you or the landlord is responsible for repairs.  If you didn't sign a lease, you may have troubles getting her to take care of it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:29:36 PM by Shelly »
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »
I signed a lease when I lived in the other rental. She told me the same rules applied and didnt bother with another lease. She told me that me and Chad could take care of the ''minor'' repairs with our own money being that she lowered the rent by 100.00. But, to me, a set of new doors isnt a minor repair. She doesnt go through a rental company.  I called an attorney just to ask some questions. He told me that I could put the rent money in a bank account and keep it there titled 'rent money'.  It could accumulate until the door was fixed.  In our lease it is said that she will pay for and correct all problems. But like I said, that was our actual lease for the other place, with this place it was verbally. And i think thats where she's got me. BUT, I didnt think she would do this. I have never even been late on my rent. I've never had to call her and ask her to wait a day or two. We take care of this place as we did the other one. Why won't she take care of this? Does she want us to move?  She owns other rentals as well and the people do not take care of them and hardly pay their rent.  I've been told she is on drugs. I dont know how true that is and I hate to actually even type it being that I dont know if its true. But something is up, this is not like her. :( I hate to not pay her cause it will cause friction.
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:51:55 AM »
I would call the attorney back and see if your lease from the first property is legally binding to your current rental.  If not, I would ask the attorney if you can still legally place the rental amount in a bank account until she repairs the door.  If he says no, I think I would just move.

If he says yes, I would contact her again, tell her once again how you cannot repair the door nor is it acceptable to you and your husband for the door to remain in this condition.  Tell her you would like the door fixed by the time your next payment is due.  If the door is not fixed by that time, I would open a separate account and place the rental amount in that account and send her a registered letter informing her that you have done so and will continue to deposit your rental money in this account until the problem is fixed.  You need to have this separate account for your legal protection so there is proof that you are doing this because of the repair that needs to be done and not simply refusing to pay your rent.

If she still doesn't fix the door, personally I would just look for another place to rent from someone else.  I think you and your husband have been more than fair and while I know you are getting a break in the rent, it sounds as though you have spent and will spend more than that amount doing repairs.

Good luck.

Denise

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 06:36:35 AM »
Thanks, Denise. I will defintely call him today.

I'm afraid I am going to have to move as well. And its a darn shame. I love this area and the house I'm renting. When I lived in her other rental, it was right up the lane. I live back a long lane and there are a few houses here.  One of the main reasons we moved here was because we wanted more privacy. This house is the last house in the lane and we are surrounded by woods. Its quite beautiful.  Here lately, I've been questioning whether or not this is worth it. :(  Chad's parents are aging and they used to live an hour away. Well when we moved here, they rented our old place. They wanted to downsize and be closer to us. I feel quite bad because we really talked up our landlord to them. I'm afraid she will do them the same way if a problem they cant fix should arise. I also will feel badly if we have to move. After all, they moved here to be closer to us. This is quite the mess. :(

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 11:52:55 AM »
Unless you and landlord both amended the old lease to state that it continues in the new house and signed it then you don't have a lease and are renting month to month. Would it be possible for you to call and get an estimate on a new door being installed and if it is under what the rent is have it fixed and give her the receipt to her instead of the rent? I think even if you had a lease her not fixing a door would be breaking it bc that is a security issue.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 03:38:13 PM »
I agree with the other fantastic advice the other ladies have offered, and I would add to it to check the laws regarding her position as a landlord.  Not exactly what was stated before, but to check and make sure that she is operating legally as a landlord.  Between her having other properties and the whole deal with her giving you a verbal agreement I suspect that she may be operating under the table so as to avoid being taxed/charged/having to set up a business.  This is exactly the situation we used to live in: our landlord owned several houses that he rented, including one that was subdivided into three apartments.  He lived on the main and third floor, and the basement was us on one side and another tenant on the other, but the entire house was just listed as one dwelling, his personal home.  In that area one is only allowed so many rental properties before you hit a threshold (after which I think you are taxed differently or have to pay a business fee or something), and because he had this house listed this way he was able to stay under that limit.

What a crummy situation all around! I'll definitely be thinking about you.  Please keep us updated!

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:24:54 PM »
My mother in laws pipes froze up. She called the landlady today and I thought to myself "great, this isnt going to be good." Well she did call her back and told her what to do.  My mother in law told her to call us that we've been trying to get ahold of her. She said for us to call her in the morning. She told her that she hasnt forgotten about our door situation. But it is almost rent time! So we shall see. I just pray we can resolve this. Thank you all for your input, I will keep you updated.

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »
I pray that this woman does the right thing and finishes the job properly. 
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 12:56:37 AM »
Well, yesterday we called her.  She had a guy come measure the door. We were very excited. She told us they would be put in this week. Then, she called me back and said that the guy was charging her too much because it was so cold. Which it is cold. She told me to wait until the weather cooperates then she will send him out to put up the new doors. I was kinda upset and I told her that if they were not put in by Feb. 28, Chad and I would look for another home elsewhere and that my inlaws want to be close to us, so they would do the same. She told us they would be. She was going to somehow ''screw the door shut'' so we could not use it and nobody could ''sue'' her if the doors were used. We told her we barely use them now, but they were not going to be screwed shut. Our bedroom is beside the kitchen where the doors are and if there were a fire in the front of the house, there is noway we could get out if the door was screwed shut. She told me I was being dramatic. I told her she would not screw the door shut and that was final. So she told me she would be in touch when the guy was ready to put the doors in. We shall see.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »
Sounds like it is time to go! This is so, so unprofessional of her and not the least bit legal.

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 10:39:49 AM »
I dont mean to whine again about this. But, boy, when it rains it poors. Nothing has been done about the back door. I've been looking for a new place all week. The ones in our budget do not accept pets...even if I would sign something or pay a bit extra.   One person I spoke to said he could help me get into an apartment building with my 2 pets, but, its in a really rough neighborhood. I dont mean to sound so harsh but I have lived in the country for so long that I'm a bit hesitant about living in town. Anyway, at 3 this morning, we were awakened by an awful noise. it was our furnace.  When it kicks on, it makes a terrible racket the whole time it is on. So we turned it off at the breaker box. Chad called her this morning and left a message. A few hours passed and I called and I got the message that ''this person is not accepting calls at this time''. I was livid.  So I dialed her number and dialed and dialed. FOREVER. Finally she picked up. I explained to her that something needed to be done about this. She told me she would send somebody out this afternoon to look at the furnace.  Then she said "Lets hope it isnt needing replaced because I dont know where that money will come from!"  I know what I need to do. I need to get the heck out of here. But the thoughts of having to rehome my two dogs breaks my heart. I honestly dont know what to do. Thank you for just letting me vent.

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 08:46:24 PM »
Praying for you Bobbie, that you will quickly find a new place in your budget that will let you keep your dogs. You really need to get out of that place.  :(
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline Rooney

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 10:24:04 PM »
I dont mean to whine again about this. But, boy, when it rains it poors. Nothing has been done about the back door. I've been looking for a new place all week. The ones in our budget do not accept pets...even if I would sign something or pay a bit extra.   One person I spoke to said he could help me get into an apartment building with my 2 pets, but, its in a really rough neighborhood. I dont mean to sound so harsh but I have lived in the country for so long that I'm a bit hesitant about living in town. Anyway, at 3 this morning, we were awakened by an awful noise. it was our furnace.  When it kicks on, it makes a terrible racket the whole time it is on. So we turned it off at the breaker box. Chad called her this morning and left a message. A few hours passed and I called and I got the message that ''this person is not accepting calls at this time''. I was livid.  So I dialed her number and dialed and dialed. FOREVER. Finally she picked up. I explained to her that something needed to be done about this. She told me she would send somebody out this afternoon to look at the furnace.  Then she said "Lets hope it isnt needing replaced because I dont know where that money will come from!"  I know what I need to do. I need to get the heck out of here. But the thoughts of having to rehome my two dogs breaks my heart. I honestly dont know what to do. Thank you for just letting me vent.

Bobbie-So sorry for what is going on. :P  Having a rental business and being so called "landlords", I can tell you that this is NOT normal or acceptable behavior on her part any way you look at it.  I hate to say, but if she didn't have you sign another lease, she may not be required to do anything.  Hope you can get out of that situation soon! 

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 01:53:43 PM »
She called me bright and early this morning...its 3:47 pm here and already, a heating company came in and installed a furnace and two men are putting new back doors in.  We havent had heat in the last few days. Finally we got tired of not getting ahold of her and we drove to her house. I told her that I would be moved by next week and I wanted my deposit back by Monday. I was nice at first but she began telling me she could raise my rent and I told her that I'm sure there is a law somewhere (and that I would find out) stating that when you own a rental property there has to be two readily available exits open at all times and there must be adequate heat source. I told her she was not running all over me. I had no idea where we were moving too but I knew I was getting out of here! She called me this morning and apologized, said she would have everything fixed by 5 pm today. I told her I would believe it when I seen it. It is getting done, praise God. I'm not sure if our relationship will ever be the same, but i showed her she was not pulling a quick one on us anymore. She told me she did hope that Chad and I would stay and not move.  Time will tell, but I do pray things will work out. I'm very thankful today...not only for the back doors being fixed, but mainly, because we have HEAT! Thank you all for listening to me and praying for us.