Author Topic: Double ovens  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Rooney

Double ovens
« on: January 23, 2014, 09:26:59 PM »
We are getting ready to order a double oven this week (probably tomorrow) while a big sale is going.  I am rough on my ovens :P.  I bake everything and we eat all meals cooked at home so my oven has seen better days.  I am talking about the free standing ones, not the ones that are in-wall.  Right now I am trying to decide between a Frigidaire (which is what the other one is), an LG (which has all buttons and no knobs- not a good thing for repairs) and the more expensive kitchenaid.  Whatever we get there will be a warranty attached, I can tell you that.  It just doesn't seem like they make appliances that hold up anymore. :P  Do any of you already have one of these?  If so, what brand and what are your likes and dislikes about it?

Offline bobbie78

Re: Double ovens
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 12:43:02 AM »
I don't have a double oven. Just wanted to tell you that you are one lucky girl! I would love to have one!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 05:49:06 AM »
I don't have a double oven either, but I do have a Frigidaire and I hate it.  Also hate my Frigidaire refrigerator.  Let us know what you decide!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 07:07:50 AM »
I don't have a double either, but would personally rule out the Frigidaire.  My brother is an appliance repair tech and has nothing good to say about that brand, plus my parents had a very bad experience with a fridge in that brand.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:34:22 PM »
Boy am I glad I asked first. :)  I was going with the Frigidaire.  See I have so many to cook for at least 3 times a day, that my husband installed an oven on each side of the kitchen just so I can keep up.  They are both Frigidaire's. We had a bad experience with GE's with the elements catching fire more than once, so those are out. Because we are so demanding of our ovens, our past strategy has been buy cheap, but with a warranty.  Maybe we should go the other way and spend more.  Problem is the warranties are still the same. I just really hate spending lots on appliances because most of them seem to start having issues right away (Even the more expensive LG refrigerator and washer have been repaired in the first year or so). :P  So I guess I am down to LG or Kitchenaid. 

I just let hubby know not to order it today.  We will make final decision tonight, just needs to be before the sale is over.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:45:58 PM by Rooney »

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 04:00:02 PM »
My girlfriend had an oven with the buttons instead of the knobs and she hated it.  It also only lasted four or five years.  Just more to confuse you, I guess!

Denise

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 06:06:17 PM »
Lindsay, did you order your oven yet? 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 07:07:22 PM »
Lindsay, did you order your oven yet? 

Nope.  I had it down to 3.  You guys talked me out of the Fridaire and the LG with all buttons.  All that was left was Kitchenaid and I figured out that if I wait for a sale on Kenmore Elite that I can get it for about the same price.  So my eyes are open for them to go on sale.  They have fairly good reviews too.  I really need it soon, because the oven on the right side of the kitchen needs a part and isn't under warranty and the one I am using on the other side, two of the burners are out. Makes it hard to keep up with the crew I cook for. :)  These are both Fridaire and enough reason not to get another one of them. :P  I'll snap a pic once I get one installed. :)

Offline RenKnitter

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 07:56:57 PM »
Have you considered a roaster oven (or two) or just a cooktop?  I don't know how to cook for that many people.

Offline Alana

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »
Hi have the LG double oven. I LOVE it!!  No issues at all with it so far but we have only had it for a year and a half. We went with LG because of the price. So far I am very happy with it.
My mom is oven shopping and I told her to go double!  She has a much higher budget than I did. And she is looking at the kenmore elite as well.
Loving the country life in Canada!
Married to Sean
Mom of Brandon 20, Joshua 16, Evan 14 & Alyssa 11
Daycare 'mom' to 5 toddlers

Offline Rooney

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »
Well it is on the way, not sure of a delivery date.  Went with the LG double oven based on reviews, but threw in a 5 year warranty just to cover my bases.  I am not thrilled with the way any of our appliances have acted in the past.  Maybe this purchase will be better.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 12:49:20 PM »
Yay!  I'm happy yours is on the way.  Mine just got here! :D 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 11:59:20 AM »
Well, it just got delivered and hubby will install it later this evening. :)

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 04:01:43 PM »
Can't wait to hear how you like it! :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 04:44:25 PM »
With the plumbing issue settled, I finally got to put my new oven to use.  We went with the LG.  Cooked about 7 dozen blueberry muffins and some cornbread last night.  I really like the top part for defrosting things like bagels, muffins, pancakes, cookies and toaster pastries.  Right now the bottom oven seems to be a little to close to the floor for me. ;)