Author Topic: Double ovens  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Re: Double ovens
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 06:18:53 AM »
Well, I am revisiting this one. My electric Jenn Air element caught on fire last night and now it seems the entire electrical system is all messed up. My husband told me this winter that this summer we would convert back to gas so it looks like we will be getting the gas line stubbed up to the kitchen and then look for a new gas range. We looked at some last night and there is actually a 5 burner that is still 30 inches wide. My husband liked that a lot. Timing is never convenient so it looks like we have to wait our turn for the plumbers to do stubbing and then wait to order the range and then wait to get the 220 volt converted to 110, oh my, talk about stress! I think I'll be cooking in my electric skillet or my grill. I don't dare plug the old range in to use the stovetop because there were all kinds of sparks last night. We don't know what brand to get because I can't pay so much--maybe $700 tops.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 08:20:06 AM »
Well, I am revisiting this one. My electric Jenn Air element caught on fire last night and now it seems the entire electrical system is all messed up. My husband told me this winter that this summer we would convert back to gas so it looks like we will be getting the gas line stubbed up to the kitchen and then look for a new gas range. We looked at some last night and there is actually a 5 burner that is still 30 inches wide. My husband liked that a lot. Timing is never convenient so it looks like we have to wait our turn for the plumbers to do stubbing and then wait to order the range and then wait to get the 220 volt converted to 110, oh my, talk about stress! I think I'll be cooking in my electric skillet or my grill. I don't dare plug the old range in to use the stovetop because there were all kinds of sparks last night. We don't know what brand to get because I can't pay so much--maybe $700 tops.

Alice

I had this exact thing happen a few weeks ago.  It was super easily fixed.  When the element "breaks" (wears out over time in a spot) it causes crazy arcing but isn't an actual "fire" (this is what my brother, an appliance tech, as well as the Sears guy who came out explained to me).  I was able to use my stovetop just fine for the 10 days until the new element came in.  HTH.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:49:27 AM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 09:04:04 AM »
Here's my update--we had a gas line brought up from the basement and is now stubbed and ready. We looked at lots of ranges. My husband was ready to buy a Frigidaire but the reviews bothered me on Frigidaire. The sales clerk told me that the Frigidaire Gallery line was good equipment but their service dept. left me a little leary. We went to another place where the person showed us a GE and their service dept. is available right in the store. We could get last years model (the looks of the range only changed a bit) for a fairly decent price but I can't get it delivered until next Thursday! I can wait. I have a microwave, a grill, an electric skillet, a crockpot--what else does a girl need?

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats