Author Topic: Spaghetti squash - ingredient of the day 2/4/13  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Cheryl

Spaghetti squash - ingredient of the day 2/4/13
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:23:20 AM »
I have 2 spaghetti squash I need to do something with soon.  How do I cook these?  Any good recipes or tips on using these?
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Spaghetti squash - ingredient of the day 2/4/13
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 06:49:50 AM »
I cut some slits in them and bake till done (about an hour to an hour and a half depending on size).  Then cut in half, remove the seeds and use a fork to break it into "strands" (really, more like long hash brown pieces).  We serve it with pasta sauce, though I recently also saw a low-carb recipe subbing the precooked strands for the hashbrowns in a casserole.

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 09:34:29 AM »
I cook mine exactly like Catherine.  We either put pasta sauce on them or butter and garlic.
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 10:24:40 AM »
We've recently started eating spaghetti squash a LOT after seeing a recipe on Pinterest!  First, I cut a slit in the squash and throw it in the microwave for several (5-7+) minutes until soft.  Next I cut the squash in half and take out about half of the 'spaghetti' from each side.  I set it aside to use at another time.  I scrape the remaining spaghetti into a bowl and mix with either lasagna ingredients (cottage and mozzarella cheeses, spices, tomato sauce, cooked ground turkey), or really with any 'casserole'-type ingredients.  Two nights ago I did a mac and cheese filling with milk, cheeses, breadcrumbs, butter, and broccoli.  After everything is mixed up I put it back into the shell and bake/broil until brown.  It is easy, versatile, healthy, and SO GOOD! :)

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:50:02 AM »
That sounds so good, Mandy!
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:57:16 AM »
That sounds so good, Mandy!

It really is, and so easy.  It's also the perfect serving size for two people ;).  I just love how simple and quick it is, and so versatile, since you can mix up any ingredients you like.  It's definitely becoming a staple meal in our house!

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 12:45:18 PM »
Thank you all for the recipes! :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn