Author Topic: Carrots  (Read 3732 times)

Offline calicogirl

• Buddy
Carrots
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:43:39 AM »
I am thinking of planting carrots this year. I've never planted them before, so do they need any specific requirements?  Thanks!

Teresa
Teresa in North AL
Married to Greg
Mom to Brandon,Heather,John,Amy,Melanie,Trey and Joel
Step Mom to Peggy
Nana to Elizabeth,Brianna,Joshua, Raylan and Olivia
Fur-mama to 2 dogs and 2 cats
Feather-mama to 2 parrots and 27 chickens

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Carrots
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 09:12:12 AM »
They do best in soil that is loosened somewhat for several inches down and without rocks.  I tried to grow them for years, then finally did them in one of my deep raised beds and, voila, they grew!  Also, they need to be kept moist after planting, because if the soil dries out and forms a crust, they don't seem to come up as well.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »
I've never had good luck growing carrots, but this year I'm trying again.  We have some Danvers half long seeds.  Do you have any favorite varieties?
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
My kids absolutely love Cosmic Purple!  They are so excited to eat them.  I also have the Amarillo yellow seeds and those grew well, and I'm hoping to try the Atomic Red ones this year.  These are all at Baker's Creek:  rareseeds.com

Offline Rooney

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 12:09:06 PM »
I have some growing right now in a deep raised bed.  I have my fingers crossed that they are doing well under the ground, but I am just going by what the leaves up top look like (they are getting tall and thick).  Planted them like 2 months ago, so I guess we shall soon see. :) I think I planted heirloom St. Valerie's????

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 12:24:23 PM »
I have some growing right now in a deep raised bed.  I have my fingers crossed that they are doing well under the ground, but I am just going by what the leaves up top look like (they are getting tall and thick).  Planted them like 2 months ago, so I guess we shall soon see. :) I think I planted heirloom St. Valerie's????

Sounds like they are doing great with the leaves growing like that.  I will have to look up that variety.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »

Sounds like they are doing great with the leaves growing like that.  I will have to look up that variety.

I think I got the seeds at Annie's Heirlooms, but they may have been the one's that came out of the PREPAREDNESS SEEDS seed bank.  Last time I tried to grow them, it was in half buckets and they were not near deep enough so the carrots were tiny.  I am hoping that they do well as far down as 60 degrees also because it has been very cold at night this week even with the woodburner going in there.  Time will tell I guess.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 12:47:22 PM »
Oh, they do fine with cold.  I have overwintered them outdoors here and they made it.

Offline calicogirl

• Buddy
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 09:29:40 AM »
Thanks everyone. I think I will try growing them in a raised bed. I'm going to buy "Little Finger" variety from bakers Creek. They grow to about 3 inches, we like the smaller varieties.

Teresa
Teresa in North AL
Married to Greg
Mom to Brandon,Heather,John,Amy,Melanie,Trey and Joel
Step Mom to Peggy
Nana to Elizabeth,Brianna,Joshua, Raylan and Olivia
Fur-mama to 2 dogs and 2 cats
Feather-mama to 2 parrots and 27 chickens

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 12:01:43 PM »
Teresa,
Just now saw this. I always grow my carrots in a raised bed. I read about planting them, gently watering them, then placing a board on top of them till they start sprouting. This keeps the soil under them moist until they can germinate. I plan to try that this year. Last year, I watered and watered them twice a day and still didn't get a good germination rate. Didn't matter since we lost everything anyway.  :( If you do the board thing, you need to check them a couple of times a day so you can get the board off once they start poking through the ground. Since the seeds are so little, you will probably get them planted too thick. I am bad about thinning. Just hate to waste them. LOL But they do better if thinned once they are up. I also plant just a few radishes at the end of the rows to help mark them as carrots look very much like grass when they first come through the ground. I hope this helped a bit. Love you!!!! ;D

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Rooney

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 04:21:04 PM »
First carrots out of the greenhouse.  Probably picked them a little early, but just wanted to taste them. :)

Offline Momtoseven

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 10:47:06 AM »
Great job - those look beautiful!

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 02:19:55 PM »
First carrots out of the greenhouse.  Probably picked them a little early, but just wanted to taste them. :)

They look healthy and yummy!

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »
Those look great, Lindsay! I just planted my carrots in a raised bed today.  ;D
Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison