Author Topic: Lecitin?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Noora

Lecitin?
« on: February 07, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »
Hello ladies,
I just joined a buying co-op for grains and the like, to buy things in bulk. One thing they offer is lecitin. They have granules, and liquid. I'm not sure... what does lecitin do? I notice some WW bread recipes call for some. Besides, there's a recipe for "better butter" which calls for 1/4 of a teaspoon per recipe. Most of the time, the recipe does not specify whether to use granules/powder or liquid.

Could someone please give me the 101 on lecitin? :)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Lecitin?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 02:38:35 PM »
Lecithin is an emulsifier, just like egg yolk (which contains it) is used as one in mayonnaise.  I believe in bread it is supposed to help make it softer.  I use it when making lipsomal vitamin C suspension to help keep the particles suspended in the water.  I had been using granules and hated the taste, so switched to liquid sunflower lecithin recently.

Offline Noora

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 02:43:33 PM »
Ah, ok. I knew that about the emulsifier, but wasn't sure what else it would do. Is the dosage the same - that is, 1/4 tsp granules equal 1/4 tsp. of the liquid, or would I have to change?
And what about storage/shelf stable? How does that stuff keep? :)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 04:13:01 PM »
I'd probably refrigerate once open.  I don't know if they are considered exactly equal, but that's how I sub it.  :P