Author Topic: Butter....  (Read 3650 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Butter....
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
If you follow the food budget thread, you may recall my struggle to get butter the past three months.  Azure has not shipped it since then.  Yesterday, preparing to submit my order, I noticed they were down to 4 cases of one and something similar of the other (I had salted and unsalted on there).  The rest wasn't arriving till February 14th, tomorrow, but they usually load the truck the day after we order.  So, I thought I'd outwit them by ordering some individual lbs of butter, not by the case.  It's .20 a lb more that way but way cheaper than anything comparable I can get here (pastured, fed no GMO when a supplement is given, no rbSt, etc...).  Bright yellow color naturally due to all the grass the cows are on.  I ordered 20 lbs salted, 10 unsalted.

Fast forward to today when I got my list of what is shipping.  Yeah, well, I'm getting a case each of unsalted and salted butter, PLUS the individual 30 lbs I ordered, for a grand total of 60 lbs.  Guess we'll be set for the next few months, huh?  :D

shedrinkzcoffee

Re: Butter....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »
I would guess so!

I am having the same issues with eggs shipping and worry that if I try to outwit them I will end up with 18 dozen eggs, LOL

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:16:29 PM »
Erica,
Wish I was closer. I have at least 12 dozen eggs in the fridge right now. LOL

Cathy,
You should be good to go on butter for a long time. I have frozen butter and it was fine.  :)

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:52:52 PM »
Catherine, I have been doing the same thing ordering individuals on some stuff that their stock is low on just to make sure I get it.  We don't use much butter and I still have some from last month so I just ordered like 4  8 ounce squares.  Guess what?  No butter shipping. :P

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 12:55:01 PM »
Erica,
Wish I was closer. I have at least 12 dozen eggs in the fridge right now. LOL

Cathy,
You should be good to go on butter for a long time. I have frozen butter and it was fine.  :)

Blessings,
Winona

Yes!  I usually freeze part of it even when getting only one case.  :)

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 02:46:39 PM »
I also freeze eggs in small containers, usually two beaten eggs. I thaw them and use them in cakes, muffins, quick breads, scrambled eggs, etc. They are convenient to have on hand.

Catherine, I'm glad you're getting all of the butter!  :)

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Cathie

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 03:05:11 PM »
hahahahhahahahhahaha

Cath's baking cookies ---- everyone in the car -- let's go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 03:07:33 PM »
hahahahhahahahhahaha

Well, I'm out of sugar.  And I took THAT off my Azure order figuring I'd get some at Sam's for 1/3 the cost.  And my oven is still out of commission from the element breaking and arcing last week.  Daggone it, I really want cookies.  How 'bout I bring my butter to your house.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 07:12:54 PM »
hahahahhahahahhahaha

Well, I'm out of sugar.  And I took THAT off my Azure order figuring I'd get some at Sam's for 1/3 the cost.  And my oven is still out of commission from the element breaking and arcing last week.  Daggone it, I really want cookies.  How 'bout I bring my butter to your house.

hahaha excellent - I have sugar and flour

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 08:46:44 AM »
Catherine - how much is the butter per pound?

Denise

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 08:53:03 AM »
By the individual pound it's $2.35.  By the case, it breaks down to about $2.15 a pound.  It is NOT certified organic, though, but I buy some of their cheese, too, and looked up the company.  From what I could find, only their organic line is CERTIFIED GMO-free, but their other stuff, is also GMO-free, just not certified.  That was on their cheese line info and I haven't found anything different about their butter, so I am assuming it's the same and going with what is an affordable healthy option, lol.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 09:07:18 AM »
Catherine - is it butter from grass-fed cows?  If so, that is a great price!!!  Regular butter (although it is from hormone free cows) is $2.99 a pound.  Grass fed butter is about $3.99 for 8 ounces and that is at Trader Joe's.

Denise

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 09:09:20 AM »
Yes, it is!  We love it!  The cheapest organic kind I can get here is Challenge for $3.50 a lb at the commissary but it is so pale that I know they aren't pastured, or not much.  Other than that, it's Kerry Gold or Organic Valley here and the cheapest for that is about $7 a lb (for the OV).  So I REALLY appreciate this butter, especially since we use quite a bit.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 09:10:37 AM »
Wow!  I am very jealous.  We use a lot of butter here so it is just not affordable for me to buy the pastured butter.  I am happy that I can get the hormone free for a good price.

Denise

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 09:21:23 AM »
Wow!  I am very jealous.  We use a lot of butter here so it is just not affordable for me to buy the pastured butter.  I am happy that I can get the hormone free for a good price.

Denise

Well, hopefully Azure will get close to you soon.  They are into Ohio now.