Author Topic: New Garden  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
New Garden
« on: February 13, 2014, 12:48:46 PM »
I need your advice.

We moved last summer and left an awesome garden spot behind. Our new place did not have a garden and I was thinking of retiring from gardening. As I was thinking about it more, I decided I might like even a small garden. Fresh veggies from my own garden space is way better than having to buy "fresh" veggies. There is space for it though not nearly as large but I didn't get to rototilling up the new spot before fall and winter hit. Would it work to till it up a couple of times and then go throw some stuff in? I have no clue what kind of soil we have and since I didn't get to working it before winter, I might just rototill up a small area and just wing it if you ladies think it might work.  I have a little soil tester or at least I did in my old house so I have to find where I put it when we moved and that could give me a little indication of what type of soil we have.

I seem to recall 22+ years ago, we did a similar thing for a garden. We just tilled it up a couple of times and put some lime down and rolled with it.

Bring on the advice!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
Re: New Garden
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 07:14:26 PM »
Have you considered putting in some raised beds?  A good book on the subject is Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. Your library will likely have a copy. You just  build frames and fill it with a soil mix, then plant. There is much less weeding to do, and since the beds are raised it tends to be easier on your back as you tend to it.  It is easier to water too, since the plants are closer together than they would be in a traditional garden. If you still want to do an in-ground garden then tilling it a few times and adding some good compost would work too. You would likely get more weeds growing though. If you continue to add compost each year then your soil will get better and better. Either way, it will be awesome to have those fresh veggies. :)
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne