Author Topic: Debating about a different direction for chickens...  (Read 2782 times)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Debating about a different direction for chickens...
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »
We had planned to order some meat chickens from Cackle Hatchery. I have read and reread their brochure.  ??? I think I about have it memorized. LOL Anyway, I found our incubators. We have 3 of them and they are still in good shape. Hmmm.... I still want to order some pullets, but what if I set some eggs 3 weeks before they were supposed to arrive?  ;) I can set 48 at a time in each incubator, but only have room to set up one incubator at a time. Then if I had good luck, I could start some more in a couple of months. See where I am going?  ;) I have read that White Rock cockerels make excellent fryers. I can get 10 of them for $15. I could butcher all but one and also get the pullets I want. Does this make sense or am I crazy?  :o LOL I really wish someone would just tell me what to do because I am having a terrible time making up my mind. Kevin says it is entirely my decision since I will be taking care of them.

I like Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, Black Australorp, and White Rock pullets. Just about ready to order 5 of each, but I don't really need that many pullets. Any Advice? I really would love to have a colorful flock. Kevin thinks we should pick one breed and stick with it, but I love the different colors. Maybe I should order 5 straight run of each breed. I would surely get a couple of pullets from each breed, right? (big sigh) Can someone just order my chickens and tell me to be satisfied with whatever I get. :-X LOL

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Debating about a different direction for chickens...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 10:38:08 AM »
Winona, no great advice here.  I think either way will be fine, so go with your gut.  :)  I am with you on liking a mixed flock.  I love the different colors and temperaments of the chickens and the different colored eggs.

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 05:57:58 PM »
My chicken order is on its way. We requested that they be shipped on May 19th. After the cold winter we have had and the late snow storm last spring, we decided to have them come late in May.  :D I ordered: 5 Rhode Island Red pullets, 5 Black Australorp pullets, and 10 straight run White Rocks. I still have a couple of Barred Rock hens and my Buff/Bar mixes. So I should have a fairly colorful flock. I figure I need to set some eggs about April 28th if I want them to hatch out about the time these arrive. Now just need this stinking snow to melt and the mud to set, so we can get to work on cleaning the brooder out and putting a run up for them.  ;D

Blessings,
Winona

P.S. Cathy, funny you should say to go with my gut. I had figured out 3 different scenarios of what to order. Even had each figured up for taxes and shipping. I took a break and just relaxed for a bit. Then it hit me out of the blue just what I needed to do. So I sat down and made out the 4th order and went with that one. Yep went with my gut, plus maybe a little nudging from God.  :)
Wife to Kevin

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »
I'm sure it feels great to have that decided.  Sounds like you will have quite a crew of little guys.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 08:33:46 AM »
I like a colorful flock too.  We have a mixed group of ladies - 1 buff orpington, 1 black australorp, 2 RIR, 2 golden comets or red stars, 1 barred rock, 2 silver laced wyandottes, and 1 sussex.  We also have 2 silkies and a bb red bantam hen separate from the standards.  I've never had a problem with the barred rocks in the past, but the one we have now has started pecking the vent of one of my best layers.  I don't know why she started this but I wish she'd stop. >:(  I've taken the picked on hen out of the run and now she's free ranging by herself.  I put her in a cage in the laundry room at night.  Even after layering on the peck no more lotion this poor hen was being attacked.  Any ideas why this would suddenly start or how I can prevent it?
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 10:47:13 AM »
Cheryl, I don't know what would make your hen start picking on another hen unless maybe she is bored. Can you find a sunflower head or even a bit of alfalfa hay to put in with them. It might distract her and get her busy with something else. It makes me so mad when one chicken is picking on another. Another option is chicken and noodles with the barred rock.  ;) Hope you figure something out.

Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »
Winona, I have threatened that hen with the dumpling pot! ;D  I used to like her but now that she's picking on one of my best layers, it is war! 

I've upped their protein by feeding them black oil sunflower seeds because I read that lack of protein could cause feather picking.  I had been noticing that going on for a couple of weeks.  Hopefully with spring coming on they'll settle down soon and not be so bored.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn