Author Topic: Berkey water filter  (Read 2506 times)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Berkey water filter
« on: February 15, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »
Do any of you have this, and if so how has it worked for you? Kevin has been researching water filters and thinks this is the way we should go. The thing is, it is about $300!  :o They have lots of good feedback on Amazon, but also some who say they are junk, overpriced, not worth the money, etc. I really hate to spend this much money on a water filter if it will not do what the company says it will do. Many had problems with leaking and the spigots breaking. Just not sure this is the way we should go. Do any of you know of another good brand of gravity flow water filters?

I know it looks like we are spending money like wildfire, but Kevin has a strong urge to get prepared to take care of ourselves as much as possible this summer. So we are planting fruit trees, growing chickens, and now checking into a water filter. LOL Any comments on the Berkey are much appreciated.  ;)

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Rooney

Re: Berkey water filter
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 07:57:56 PM »
We have had 4 or 5 of these over the years.  Now we use them as backup for the pelican whole house filter we had to put on once we got the greenhouse.  I can PM you later with the all the info I have on these later tonight.

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »
Thanks Lindsay,
I appreciate it.They sound good, but $300. Yikes!
Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 07:51:01 AM »
Yes, we have had ours for about 7 years now, I think.  It's great and really makes a huge difference in the taste of our water as well as the healthiness.  We just have the Berkey Light, but if I were to do it again, I'd get the big stainless steel one.

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 08:23:49 AM »
At Lehmans they have the Big Berkey, the Royal Berkey and the lighted base one.  I think the Royal Berkey would work for us at $259.00.  Dh said I could buy one a while ago but I haven't done it yet!  Now you have me thinking about it all over again!!!!  :)
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 09:50:51 AM »
Thanks for all the input. We have narrowed it down to either the Berkey Travel or Big Berkey, both are stainless steel. We just aren't sure which one would work best for us. The travel is about $30 less, and it is smaller so would take up less counter space which is at a premium in this little house.  ;) The Travel holds 1.5 gallons and the Big holds 2.25 gallons, so only 3/4 a gallon difference. Not sure which one to go with.

Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 10:23:09 AM »
Ok, we decided to go with the Berkey Travel. We both told what we were thinking would be the best and both thought the same thing.  ;D So Kevin ordered the Travel. Woo, that took way longer than it should have to make a decision on. LOL Oh well, as Kevin said, now we can quit thinking about it.  :) Isn't he wise?  8) LOL
Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin

Offline Rooney

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 02:03:35 PM »
Good choice Winona! :) :)  I don't like being the one who makes the final decision on big purchases either.  I figure that way if it doesn't work out, I can always say, "Well you ordered it honey." LOL :)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 04:41:58 PM »
LOL Lindsay, you have that right.  ;D I knew what I was thinking, but didn't want to say anything till Kevin had expressed his opinion. LOL I was happy that we were on the page.  ;)
Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 06:03:53 PM »
We have had our Berkey for about 5 years and I absolutely love it.  We have the Big Berkey and I wish 1000 times that we would have gone with the Royal.

I keep 2 gallons of filtered water in gallon jars and use it for all of our cooking needs. I also keep 4 glass quart bottles of filtered water in the fridge for drinking. I also try to keep the Berkey filled too.  Can you tell we LOVE our water? Lol

Glad y'all decided to get one.  :)

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 06:28:23 PM »
We have had our Berkey for about 5 years and I absolutely love it.  We have the Big Berkey and I wish 1000 times that we would have gone with the Royal.

I keep 2 gallons of filtered water in gallon jars and use it for all of our cooking needs. I also keep 4 glass quart bottles of filtered water in the fridge for drinking. I also try to keep the Berkey filled too.  Can you tell we LOVE our water? Lol

Glad y'all decided to get one.  :)

Beth

The cooking thing is why I wish we'd gone larger.  It's easy to drink what all is in there at mealtime and it would be nicer to have a bunch for broths or cooking potatoes in or whatever.

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 07:23:05 PM »
I am constantly telling Sam that keeping us in filtered water is a full time job   :D.  We drink more than a gallon of water at every meal and I make a gallon of tea just about every day. Our Berkey is a hard working item in my kitchen.

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 08:28:59 PM »
I am constantly telling Sam that keeping us in filtered water is a full time job   :D.  We drink more than a gallon of water at every meal and I make a gallon of tea just about every day. Our Berkey is a hard working item in my kitchen.

Beth

Haha!  No kidding!  And don't get me started on canning season when I need LOTS of boiling water for packing jars.  :(

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 08:40:37 PM »
Yikes! Never thought about canning season. Maybe we should have gone with the Big Berkey!  :-\ Oh well, I will stock pile good water in canning jars.  ;D

Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin