Author Topic: Cleaning the tops of smooth top ranges  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Rooney

Cleaning the tops of smooth top ranges
« on: February 18, 2014, 06:46:09 PM »
What do those of you that have smooth top ovens clean them with? (chemical-free only preferred)  My SIL told me to use a scotchbrite pad with the cleaner that came with it.  I have been using the pads, but with dish soap instead.  If you scrub too hard it WILL scratch.  Don't want to scratch the new one.  Also any ideas on what to do if someone accidently sets something plastic on a still warm burner?  The burnt plastic doesn't seem to want to come off AT ALL. :P

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Cleaning the tops of smooth top ranges
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 06:49:12 PM »
We use the special cleaner for smooth top stoves.  Probably not chemical free.  Actually, Earl uses it, lol.  I wipe the stove down with a wet dishcloth when I'm done cooking and washing dishes, but he is the one who cleans the stove top, his choice.  I felt a little guilty at first, but am actually happy about that now.  Earl has very very carefully cleaned something really stuck with a razor blade.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 06:51:11 PM »
I also use the special cleaner and the little scrubby pad that came with it, and it's the only thing I've found so far that works.

M :)
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline wrancher

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 09:29:41 AM »
Soft scrub is not chemical free probably but doesnt seem to scratch and I agree with catherine A good old razor blade with caution of course.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:09:24 AM »
Janice, would you believe the razor never occurred to me?  That probably would have saved surface damage on one of them. :P  Catherine, I think I may use your idea and have hubby start cleaning the top of it for me when it requires scrubbing.  :)