Author Topic: More food-harder to plan?  (Read 5297 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

More food-harder to plan?
« on: February 22, 2014, 05:38:14 AM »
Do you find that, with more food in the house, it is harder to plan your menus?  That feels backward but true for me.  Maybe in part because the fridge (or cupboard) is so full it's hard to tell what all is in there.  I know that's a great (and first world) problem to have, but I end up overwhelmed and losing things in there till they are too old to use.  Anybody have this problem or you did and have found a solution?  The one thing I AM doing already to try to combat it is to make a list of what all fruits and veggies are in there and consult that when menu planning.

Offline Cathie

Re: More food-harder to plan?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:45:22 AM »
hahahahaha funny you should say this - I was laying in bed thinking I need to empty out all the cupboards so I can see what's in there and put less back so I can see

too funny  ;D

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 06:31:06 AM »
I used to feel this way.  Every few months I'll empty out the pantry and freezers to see just exactly what and how much we have.  I write it down and keep the list in my pantry.  As an item is used, I mark it off the list.  The reason I do this every few months is to make sure my inventory list matches what's actually here because sometimes an item is removed and not marked off the list. 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Cathie

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 06:45:43 AM »
that's a great idea Cheryl - I probably should take everything out and know exactly what I have in there  ;D

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 06:55:22 AM »
It's not something I look forward to, but it has to be done.  I guess I should do it today since I'm thinking about it.  It's okay doing the pantry but there's just something about emptying out that chest freezer that irks me. ;) 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Cathie

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 07:26:39 AM »
It's not something I look forward to, but it has to be done.  I guess I should do it today since I'm thinking about it.  It's okay doing the pantry but there's just something about emptying out that chest freezer that irks me. ;)

I am putting it on my list of things to do next week --- I will start upstairs then move onto the freezers - thanks :-*

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 09:09:17 AM »
That is so me! This month I didn't plan and just went shopping with husband and we picked up what looked good now I don't remember what we have and it is overwhelming for me to look for things. Next month I am so going to me a whole calendar menu again and go shopping by myself lol.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 01:01:29 PM »
I wish I had that problem. I used to always have a very well stocked pantry. When we moved, we pretty much ate the pantry dry and I haven't replenished it. That, along with the fact that two children are in college and not home right now leaving us with only one child, leaves me with really no reason to restock. With that said, the budget has taken a huge hit due to husband's retirement and the huge costs of education leaves me with very little money for groceries. I scramble each day to put a meal on the table. I forfeited bread and cereal last night at the grocery store but I made two loaves of bread this morning. I have four more years of educational costs for the children but in the mean time we buy a lot off the discount racks at the store. I'm not complaining because for sure GOD has supplied ALL of our needs.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »
Well, we had pretty much eaten through ours as well, and the freezers, too.  We decided to use a portion of our tax refund to replenish a bit.  With all five kids still at home, it was very much needed here.  And I am hoping to run less and buy less the next few weeks.

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 10:58:05 AM »
I find I do better if I don't try to plan too far ahead. A week at a time is about right for me. I am trying to eat out of the pantry and freezer right now, both because finances are tight and because I need to use up some things that have been in the freezer a while. We want to get a side of beef with part of our tax refund so we will need the space. I am trying hard to incorporate leftovers and produce so they don't get wasted. I check the fridge a couple of times a week to see what is in there that needs to be used. For example, I have a lot of veggies in the fridge right now because I brought a veggie tray to a get together on the weekend and there were a lot left. I will use them in a stir fry with some leftover chicken from another night. I like to keep my fridge as empty as possible because that's the only way I will know everything is being used. It does seem like a paradox that the more you have the harder it is to plan, but that is exactly what happens. Wish I had a better answer.
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline Rooney

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 11:15:16 AM »
I have NO advice for making the menu part of it easier because I really lack in this area, but I do have to bring a lot of food into the house at once, especially if there is a stock-up being done.  I too was wasting a lot because it was expiring on me because I would forget it was there.  Don't know if this is feasible for you, but what I have been doing is putting the newer frozen foods in the basement freezers and the newer dry goods in another room in the house.  I only keep the foods I need to use up first in the kitchen freezer and cupboards.  Has been helping to avoid the expiration problem.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 03:51:42 PM »
I realize this is a very old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone still feels this way?

My freezers, pantry, and cabinets seem to be bursting at the seams and I'm having the hardest time planning our menu for the month.  I have an inventory, so not knowing what we have on hand isn't the problem.  I sit here looking at my list and am still drawing a blank on what to fix.  I feel like I'm in a rut when it comes to meal time.  I need to shake things up a bit, but am not sure where to start.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
Interesting what a year and a half brings! Can't wait to hear what some of yoenwill update.

We're down to two people and I can see that making meals for two people we'll be using far less food than when all the kids were home for the summer. But then also we needed less food because they would eat at work when they were working (meal provided) and then some would sleep the morning away so no breakfast. They might eat a late brunch and then no more meals until the next day. I would often make enough for everyone and whoever wanted to eat, would. I have a freezer full of food but with only two people it will take us a long time to use that up.

The pantry is not really stocked a ton but I do require enough so that I can make a meal using pantry stuff when I need to.

I guess we're at the same point.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline wrancher

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 06:22:30 PM »
Cheryl what do you have lots of? I to am in a rut and know I need to cook but just don't want to. I get inspiration from what others are making. I need to can some jalapenos sometime soon (I still need to pick) use up some zucchini, cucumbers, peaches, corn,etc. After I clean out fridges tomorrow I will know what to make if I find the time and incentive

Janice

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 08:00:44 PM »
Janice, I feel like I have a lot of everything except meat, especially vegetables since I both can and freeze what we grow plus what's been given to us.

I'm like a child with too many toys.  :) I can't function because I'm overwhelmed.  I realize we are blessed and I'm grateful for it all.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn