Author Topic: Some more of my rambling....  (Read 1621 times)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Some more of my rambling....
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:08:22 PM »
....I am so sick of my hair. I don't know what to do with it. I have always kept it in kind of a short pixie cut or a short shag cut, but I am tired of that. I have a round face and fine, thin hair. I would like to get it a bit longer. I miss being able to tie it back in a pony tail to go to the garden. I have never really been a fan of bangs. They kind of drive me crazy. In fact, that is my problem right now. It is growing out and the bangs keep flopping into my eyes. I always part it on the right side. I have spent the evening looking at hair styles.  :-\ I don't know what to do with this mess. It is the natural color because I don't like dye.  I just feel kind of blah right now. Mom gave me money for my birthday to get my hair cut, but not sure I want to do that. My honey would love it if I would grow it out. Now I am not a long hair type of person, so probably will never have it below my shoulders. I think Kevin would love that length. My problem is finding a style that doesn't make my face look even rounder and will not require lots of work. I don't want much, do I? LOL  :o

I would say I have looked at several hundred pictures tonight. ??? Not a fan of any of the drastic modern looks. At the moment, it is just below my ears on the sides and almost to my shoulders in back. Also it flops about past my nose in front. It does have long layers in back too. LOL Should I just continue to let it grow and put up with the nuisance? Or should I go attempt to get some sort of style? I am not an every 6 week haircut sort of person, so I need a style that won't need trims every time I turn around. I feel for the lady who cuts my hair. I can just see the bewildered look on her face, right now, when I sit in the chair and try to explain what I want.  ::) Any suggestions? I want to keep it as natural as possible with minimal styling stuff. LOL I can see you all rolling your eyes right now. It's ok, I am getting bored with myself tonight.  ;) My honey gave up on me and went to bed. He was no help at all with my hair emergency!  :P

So give me your thoughts. I have had lots of hair cuts over the years, but the absolute worst cut was the time a young girl just starting out cut it straight across above the tops of my ears on the sides. Oh my goodness, I could hardly wait for that to grow out. I am now specific when getting it cut. Do not cut it straight across above the ears. Yikes. I still have nightmares about that hair cut.  :o

Well, enough rambling for tonight. Maybe my perfect style will come to me in my dreams. LOL You all have a wonderful night.

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline RenKnitter

Re: Some more of my rambling....
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:22:35 AM »
I have fine, straight hair that I fought with for years.  A few years ago I went with a pageboy cut and I have never done anything else since.  The length varies slightly from season to season, but always straight on the bottom, side part, pulled back with a headband.  Many ladies at church have told me that they are going to this style to avoid spending lots of time and money on hair.  I am going gray and have left that natural and have no plans to dye it. I used to curl it with a curling iron once in a while, but I don't do that anymore.  Just blow it dry while turning under with a brush.  This works for me, but I am really low maintenance and many ladies want something fussier.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:24:34 AM »
My experience with fine straight hair comes from my girls...I have the opposite problem, ridiculously thick hair that doesn't look good in some styles because there is so much of it.  I have found that the girls' hair seems to do best kept short.  When they try to grow it out, it looks straggly.  Maddy's is a little better as she's gotten older, and she styles hers now (fancy braids, etc....).  The younger ones didn't and I don't have the patience to mess with theirs each day, so we've kept a bob style for several years now which looks great on them and is low maintenance.  Last week, though, Mal and Morgan both asked for pixie cuts and they look really cute with those.  "Styling" consists of a tiny dab of styling paste/wax rubbed through after towel drying and pushing to the side.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 07:36:13 AM »
If you trust your stylist, could you ask her opinion?  She should be able to tell you what would look best with your face/head shape, but also keeping in mind your preferences, time/willingness to style, desire to pull it back, etc. 

As for styles, I loved having the shorter one that I had until just the last year or so (growing it out now)!  It was short in the back - sometimes very short, but graduated, so the long pieces in front gave it a little length, style, and the ability to draw it all back into a stubby little ponytail.

I love hair and makeup, so 'ramble' on :)

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 11:26:45 AM »
Ok, I had Kevin take pictures of all sides of my head. I hope I don't scare any of you, but I am going to post these so you can get an idea what I have to work with. This is actually the longest my hair has been in many years. 

Thanks for looking.   :D

Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin

Offline Rooney

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:49:33 AM »
Winona, it looks like it would be super simple for you to do something similar to what I keep.  It is just a one layer shoulder length.  I can relate with the need to have something easy to work with, but that you can still get out of your face when need be. I also have similar textured hair.  With the one layer all I have to do is wash and dry with a hair dryer.  If I am going out, I curl the ends up and it looks fine. (hubby even says cute  ;))  Also with the one layer, I don't have to worry about keeping hair appointments because hubby cuts it for me.  If you could talk Kevin into that, you could get to avoid the salon gossip. (I know they talk about people when they leave for a fact, at least where I used to go) :P  My mom made me have "that haircut" you were talking about too.  It looks like you already have a good start on the sides growing out and you could use barrettes on the sides when you are working outside until it grew out to one length. 

Just an idea, but whatever you choose........... you will still look great! :)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 12:24:41 PM »
Oh goodness, Lindsay, no, Kevin will not be cutting my hair. LOL I made that mistake when the kids were little. I always cut all the kids' hair, both boys and trims for the girls. So money was tight and I let Kevin cut my hair. It was not pleasant. I ended up having our 10 year old, Carolyn, straighten it for me. LOL I am not brave enough to let him try again.  :o I think I will go with what you have described. I did not know what the back of it looked like until I had Kevin take this picture. I might (now I said might) even bite the bullet and have some light bangs cut. I know it needs to be evened up, but don't think I will let her cut any more layers in it. I want to try this at least. Thanks, for your input, Lindsay!

Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »
I am in the same boat, my hair is always in a pony tail so Im not even sure what it looks like anymore lol. I have a really thick hair with a curly spot on the back of my head and the rest is straight. I would love a cut like Catherines but not sure if my hair would just look like that or have to put work into it bc Im all left hands when it comes to styling. Would love to see what Mal and Morgans hair looks like. Abby got her hair cut on Saturday, took about 8-10 inches off so its just above her shoulders but when I agreed to layers I thought small ones but they are half way up her head and its just not laying down very good now but she likes it so I guess that good.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.