Author Topic: Favorite sources to purchase fruit bushes  (Read 2191 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Favorite sources to purchase fruit bushes
« on: February 22, 2014, 05:35:05 AM »
Looking for a place, hopefully somewhat regional, to buy some raspberry bushes and possibly blackberry bushes.  Looking not to buy from Michigan or other northerly states as I want something more acclimated to warmer weather (we're a zone 7).  I have a catalog from the Indiana Berry company but was wondering about something from a state closer to us.  Our local food co-op does have a seller about 45 miles north of us, but they seem to only sell larger, more-expensive plants, and wanting to get several, I was hoping to get them more reasonably.

Any suggestions?

Offline wrancher

Re: Favorite sources to purchase fruit bushes
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 06:52:57 AM »
This is the  year I am wanitng to plant these bushes also but in my zone 4. I also will be putting in apple trees. grapes, choke cherries, plum I want an area for these and so one day my grandchildren (not ready for that yet but someday)  can say I am so glad she palnted all this stuff on our ranch and we can go pick our own. Dream I know but it takes a while for these things to get established My DH already went and ordered 300 junipers to plant. Since we have been married we have put in 4 new tree belts and have added into existing belts in 3 tree belts. We love trees We are in an area where there arent many treees so we have planted 1000s. It is for the future though.

Janice

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 03:30:32 PM »
I went ahead and ordered from Indiana Berry.  Seven raspberry bushes and two elderberry ones.  Earl is prepping the spot today and I set it up to have them shipped in early March.

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 04:04:39 PM »
We have found from experience that the best place to buy fruit trees and berry bushes, grapes, etc. is a local nursery.  They know what will grow well in your area, unlike the catalog places.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »
We have found from experience that the best place to buy fruit trees and berry bushes, grapes, etc. is a local nursery.  They know what will grow well in your area, unlike the catalog places.

That makes sense...wish we had a place like that.

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 05:26:08 PM »
LOL And once again I am jealous Cathy.  :D It will be a while before we can even think about getting into our garden. Good luck with the berries. Did you order red, yellow, or purple? I have always preferred the purple so that is what we plant. We have elderberries growing wild all over the place. Are the ones you order to plant different than our wild ones?

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 06:36:25 PM »
LOL And once again I am jealous Cathy.  :D It will be a while before we can even think about getting into our garden. Good luck with the berries. Did you order red, yellow, or purple? I have always preferred the purple so that is what we plant. We have elderberries growing wild all over the place. Are the ones you order to plant different than our wild ones?

Blessings,
Winona

Winona, I don't know if there is a difference in the elderberries.  Living in town, we don't have them around here, though I know they are supposed to grow well here.  I just got red raspberries...debated about colors but since I have such limited space, I went with red.

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 06:46:41 PM »
Well, I haven't done it for several years, but I used to pick elderberries every fall and can several jars. You would be surprised at what you can use the juice for. Of course, now that I no longer make jelly or jam, not sure what I would do with it. I used to mix it with different fruits. Back in the days when I was cooking for so many, I made probably 15 to 20 batches of jelly a season. Now I make none. Kind of sad, but we neither one need it. The last jar of jelly I bought, I threw out.  :'( I need to research on making elderberry syrup for cold and flu season. Might be good to have on hand next winter.  I also plan to start a medicinal herb garden this spring. I have some books ordered. So wish I could get to work, but patience is a virtue!  ;D Have fun playing in your garden and think about me. LOL

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie