Author Topic: Question about Cauiliflower  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Rooney

Question about Cauiliflower
« on: February 24, 2014, 09:35:49 AM »
I have a little over half an 8' x 4' raised bed of cauliflower.  I have never grown it and just planted a bit to try it.  This was just a little less than 3 months ago.  Things DO take a little longer than usual in a greenhouse in winter.  The question is why do they have gigantic leaves and stalks to the plant (leaves like 18 inches or so) and the cauliflower itself is about the size of a pencil eraser?  Should I assume they aren't going to grow for some reason and just pull them up?  If they aren't going to produce they are just wasting space I need right now for other starts that need to be transplanted and also wasting the nutrients out of the soil.  What do you think?

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Re: Question about Cauiliflower
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
Lindsay,
I am not experienced with cauliflower, in fact never had much luck with it around here. With that being said, I do remember reading that you are supposed to tie the leaves of cauliflower up around the developing heads to keep them white. Something about the sun discoloring the heads. That would explain the leaves being so big.  ;) Not sure if the same holds true in a green house, or not. I would give them a bit more time to see it the heads increase in size. If after a week or two, and they still haven't grown any more, I would probably put something else in there. Good luck.

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Question about Cauiliflower
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:28:11 PM »
Hmm...this is what often happens to my broccoli and did to my purple cauliflower this past year as well.  Here, I assumed it got too warm before they had developed enough but I wouldn't think that would be the case with yours, especially in winter.   :-\