Author Topic: Prepping the Pantry  (Read 3880 times)

Offline Trudy in TN

• Loving Home
Prepping the Pantry
« on: September 08, 2013, 03:53:28 PM »
What are you ladies doing to prep the pantry for winter and bad times?

I have been canning this summer with that in mind.  I also need to inventory my pantry this week to see what I need to start buying.
Wife of 29 years to David
Mom to Ian (26) and Rachel (24)
Mom in love to Brooke
www.lovinghome-trudy@blogspot.com

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
Re: Prepping the Pantry
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:00:32 PM »
Honestly, we're trying to eat up any pantry stores we have. We don't want to move the food and we'll have better access to bulk foods once we move.

When I put food under the sink, I wrote it all down. Now we just cross it off as we use it up.
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »
Our garden didn't do so great this year due to all the rain we had, but I canned everything I could, along with dehydrating some things.
I always try to keep an assortment of dried beans on hand and we have plenty of oatmeal, rice, and popcorn.

I want to do a stock-up in October of some things to get us through the winter, not only food items but things like toothpaste, dish soap, supplies to make laundry detergent, toilet paper, otc meds, lamp oil & wicks, and whatever else I can think of.  I did this back in the spring and it's been a great help.

Leah - that's how I did my freezer inventory.  I just mark off each item as I take it from the freezer.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 07:10:21 PM »
We are pretty well set with most of our staples...sugar, flour, dried beans, rice, powdered milk, etc.  I've been focusing on stocking up on Kleenex, toilet paper and OTC meds the last few months and my next stock up will be on Coleman fuel for lanterns or camp stove, lamp oil and matches.  Sam gets paid every two weeks so if I can buy a few things every paycheck, it's not so overwhelming. 

Sam bought me a 1922 Aladdin oil lamp at an antique store and we need to get a new wick and mantle for it.  Our hardware store is out of stock on these parts but has ordered them so I will be stocking up on those when they come in.

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:21:50 PM »
The stores near us are starting their case-lot sales this week, so I'll be making a list of what we still need.  I just cleaned and organized and inventoried my pantry last week, so this should go quickly.  I'll check back once I've got my list.

Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 02:58:10 PM »
I have been canning as much as possible from the garden and from good deals I find on produce. For other things I am watching for sales and stocking up on things like tuna, salmon. pasta and that kind of thing.  I want to make a trip or two to Costco for stuff like Kleenex. paper towels, toiletries and such.  It is about an hour away, but it is in the same city where my son Paul is in college, so I can visit him at the same time. :)
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline trlmom3

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 11:28:13 AM »
Need to take inventory and make a list. We have been eating out of the freezer and pantry for the last month. I have been buying one extra of things like peanut butter, cooking oil when shopping.
Laura
From Northern Michigan
Married to Rick
Mom to Nathan(Kayla), Tanya(Scott),Adam(Nicole)
Gramma to Aiden , Gabby, Isaac  and Sophia Rose born Mar 30 2015
2 dogs

Offline Rooney

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »
I have just been buying some stuff in bulk, but normally most of that is gone by the end of the month too.  This month I stocked up a bit on some frozen fruit and some ketchup, olive oil and bread bags.  If you eat this kind of ketchup there was a pretty good sale on vitacost earlier this week it is probably still going on.  Our family eats sooooo much ketchup.  I joke with dh and ask him if he would like some fries with his ketchup, but seriously this will just get us through the month maybe a little more.  As for the olive oil it is all I cook with.