Author Topic: Tortillas  (Read 2542 times)

Offline bobbie78

Tortillas
« on: March 10, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »
I have a question. Are homemade tortillas really worth the effort?  I mean, they are pretty cheap at Aldi, only .99. So, I really wouldnt be saving a whole lot making them myself.  But if they are much more tasty, then I may try! Input please?
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline wrancher

Re: Tortillas
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 01:25:35 PM »
I am very conservative and try to make most of my stuff from scratch. In my opinion it is way cheaper and this may be the only thing I like better than my homemade. I always fail at these.It takes me so long to make I always buy

Janice

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:34:14 PM »
They are definitely time-consuming but homemade are delicious.  Not a big money saver but some brands have less-healthy fats in them so there is another plus to making your own or at least finding a brand that doesn't.

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »
Thanks, Janice! Its just my hubby and I, so we don't go through a lot of them.  I know I can freeze them. But I just didnt know if they were really worth all that time and effort.
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 01:35:44 PM »
Yes, you are right about that Catherine. Never really stopped to think of it that way! Thanks!

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 06:09:54 PM »
My daughter and I were talking about it Saturday night as we were making some.  We love the taste of our homemade ones better than any store bought ones.  They are time consuming, but so worth it for us.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »
anyone have a recipe they'd  like to share - I always wanted to make my own

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 11:27:22 AM »
anyone have a recipe they'd  like to share - I always wanted to make my own

This is the one we use. 

1 cup white flour
4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (soft wheat)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 & 1/2 cups boiling water

Stir together the dry ingredients.  Mix in oil until the mixture is crumbly.  Make a well in the center and add boiling water.  Knead the dough and then divide into 18 balls.  Let rest on counter for 20 - 30minutes.  Roll out and cook on a hot griddle.

I have a tortilla press that I use to flatten the dough.  Then I roll them out the rest of the way. 

You can use 100% whole wheat, but your arms will really get a work out rolling them out.  It is better to have at least one cup of white flour in with the mixture.  The other night I did them about half and half.  You can also substitute the olive oil for shortening.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 07:18:53 AM »
thanks Cheryl

I wonder if I could use regular flour - I don't have whole wheat and I don't have a press either but I think when the ones I have are gone I am going to give it a whirl

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 07:56:17 AM »
This is the recipe that I use - regular (and very few!) ingredients, no special equipment, and not at all time-consuming.  Oh, and no relation to this blog, just a coincidence in the name!

http://mandysrecipebox.blogspot.com/2009/10/homemade-tortillas.html
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Cathie

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 09:46:32 AM »
thanks Mandy!

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »
thanks Cheryl

I wonder if I could use regular flour - I don't have whole wheat and I don't have a press either but I think when the ones I have are gone I am going to give it a whirl

Yes, I have made it with all purpose flour also and they turn out just as good.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 11:02:41 AM »
thanks Cheryl

great thanks Cheryl!

Yes, I have made it with all purpose flour also and they turn out just as good.