Author Topic: Seeds Started for 2014!  (Read 1428 times)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Seeds Started for 2014!
« on: March 18, 2014, 09:58:33 AM »
If you are on Facebook you have probably already read this post. LOL It is basically the same as what I posted on there this morning.  ;)
Yesterday, I got my seeds started. I have 4 trays going. In these 4 trays I have planted 72 cabbage, 66 tomato, 48 sweet pepper, 24 cauliflower, 24 broccoli, 24 brussels sprouts, 18 eggplant, 6 hot peppers, and 6 tomatillas. Once these get big enough I will transplant them into bigger pots. I went ahead and turned the light on them to give them some extra heat for quicker germination.  ;)

Are you wondering why on earth I would start 72 cabbage plants? Kevin bought this 3 gallon crock for me for my birthday. I hope to make kraut and dill pickles this year. You can also see our Berkey water filter in the background. We love this thing. No regrets on buying it.  :D

I had my sweet little helper right beside me yesterday. See how she is laying? She is taunting me to rub her tummy. If I do, she will attack. LOL

I think we are off to a good start for the 2014 garden. As soon as it is dry enough, we have 50 lbs of Pontiac potatoes, 2 lbs onion sets, garlic bulbs, plus, peas, spinach, lettuce, carrots, beets, etc. to go in it. Yep, going to be a good garden this year. Trusting in the Lord to bless this year's garden.  ;D

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Rooney

Re: Seeds Started for 2014!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 10:10:26 AM »
Winona, did you get the clear seed tray covers locally or have to order them?  I had some but need more and the only place I have been able to find them is the greenhouse superstore online.  Hate to pay shipping for just that but need more of them like yesterday. :P

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 10:52:12 AM »
Lindsay, I bought the whole seed starting kits at Walmart. It is the tray, 72 cells, and clear cover for $4.47 each. If I am careful I can reuse these for a few more years. Since the cells are so small, I will transplant them after they have true leaves into either peat pots or foam cups. I have done it this way for years, but bought some new trays this year. My older ones were showing their age. LOL I don't think you can buy just the plastic covers from Walmart, but you might be able to cover your trays with plastic wrap or even clear plastic and tape it to the sides. Good luck.
Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 04:50:34 PM »
We have the first seeds planted in the garden. I had several errands to run today. Kevin said he would get the garden tilled. Well, by the time I got home, he had tilled it and had several things planted. He planted yellow, red, and white onion sets, sweet onion plants, fava beans (Don't ask me what these are. Something new we are trying, but it said to plant them like peas.  ;)), peas, snow peas, spinach, garlic, and turnips. I was kind of shocked that he planted 3 rows of turnips. I hate them. He says he likes them, but seldom eats them. LOL Oh well, they are planted.  :o I found some purple seed potatoes. We will probably cut the potatoes this week so the cuts can heal over a bit and plant them next weekend. I still need to plant my carrots, beets, and lettuce. Kevin said the wind was blowing too hard to plant seeds that blow easily.  :D So the garden of 2014 is officially started. Now they are calling for snow on Monday.  :o Our crazy winter continues into a crazy spring. LOL

Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin