Author Topic: Planting by moon signs/phases?  (Read 1778 times)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Planting by moon signs/phases?
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:08:54 PM »
What are your opinions about this? My grandpa followed the moon signs for most farm chores. I never have. Do you think there is anything wrong in planting and harvesting according to the moon phases? Mom is also always telling me when it is a good time to plant certain seeds/plants. Is this just an old wise tale or is there some truth to it? I have been researching this, but have found so many conflicting answers, so decided to ask you, my friends, what you all think?

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline calicogirl

• Buddy
Re: Planting by moon signs/phases?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 09:48:59 AM »
My grandparents and Daddy followed signs.  We always had nice productive gardens, so I guess there is some truth too it. Daddy sometimes would check on the calendar to see if it was a good day to go fishing, lol. We always had one of those almanac type calendars with all the moon phases and such. Love ya!

Teresa
Teresa in North AL
Married to Greg
Mom to Brandon,Heather,John,Amy,Melanie,Trey and Joel
Step Mom to Peggy
Nana to Elizabeth,Brianna,Joshua, Raylan and Olivia
Fur-mama to 2 dogs and 2 cats
Feather-mama to 2 parrots and 27 chickens

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
I don't there is anything wrong with following the phases of the moon/sun or whatever for planting.  God gave us those signs for a reason.   ;)  They have a saying here that you don't plant your summer garden until all the snow is melted on Peavine (a mountain).  The risk of freeze is almost gone when the snow is gone from there.

Older and wiser farmers did this before us and were successful with it so I say, why not!   8)

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 12:28:21 PM »
My parents and grandparents always planted by the signs. 

Teresa - I have one of those calendars.  We always had those growing up and I've checked many times to see if it was a good fishing day! :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »
I think there actually is science behind it, not just an old wives' tale.  Something about the pull of the moon during certain phases making it less than ideal for sprouting, while other times it's opposite.  But I don't know a ton about it.  I've tried it at times if it was fairly convenient.  Sometimes, though, I just ignore it, say if we're supposed to get a lot of rain during the best week to plant.  So, who knows?  One of those can't hurt, might help situations, right?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 01:35:04 PM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »
I agree with Catherine, there's science behind it.

http://www.granny-miller.com/astrology-agrarian-practice/
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 08:57:19 AM »
Thank you all for your opinions. I think I will pick up an almanac the next time I get to town. Won't hurt to try, anyway.

Leah, thank you for that site. I believe I have read some of her blog a long time ago, but I had forgotten about it. I am loving it now!

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 09:32:48 AM »
This is so interesting b/c my bil Randy and I were talking of gardens when they were visiting us this past weekend and he remembers his mother planting her garden by the moon!  He laughed as he told me one time he planted her potatoes to soon and she fussed at him!  They are from KY and I believe there has to be something to this!!!  :)
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus