Author Topic: Which paint to use?  (Read 1604 times)

Offline bobbie78

Which paint to use?
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »
I'm wanting to repaint my kitchen. I painted it back in the fall...loved it, now, not so much. But, I really need to know what kind/types of paint to use. The paint I used the last time was just a cheap gallon of paint that I purchased at walmart. I thought paint was just that, paint. EVERY little mark shows up on my walls. It is impossible to get the dirty hand mark off that my niece put on it at Christmas time. When I try to clean the wall, the paint rubs off onto my rag. Obviously, I got what I paid for. Cheap. What kind of paint would you suggest? I would like to do a buttercup yellow in my kitchen. My decor in there is with gingerbread men and I have a lot of antique bowls around the tops of my cupboards. I think the pale yellow would be pretty. But what do I need to look for, as in, what will clean easily? I do not like shiny paint at all. My friend tried to tell me today that my walls are too boring. She suggested they need more ''shine''. But nope, I dont like shiny paint. lol . Help!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline Rooney

Re: Which paint to use?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:19:53 PM »
Bobbie, we use Behr paint for everything now.  It is low VOC which means it doesn't stink much at all and is healthier to use as far as fumes go.  "Things" like crayon marks etc. wipe right off.  You can just take a sample of anything you want to match it with to Home Depot and they match it exactly.  If you don't like shine, they make flat paints as well as gloss.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:47:30 AM »
We used the Sherwin Williams most recently, their zero VOC line, but have also used Valspar (from Lowe's) before (low VOC) and had success with it.  I don't like gloss either, but have had bad experiences with flat paint (as far as cleaning it goes) so we use a satin finish these days.

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 12:49:25 PM »
we use Kelly Moore... rolls better and goes farther then any other we have tried

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »
I like Valspar from Lowe's. I'm always happy with the results.

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 02:18:53 AM »
Thank you for all the suggestions, ladies!  I'm going to tackle the project this weekend!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.