Author Topic: Flour  (Read 931 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Flour
« on: March 26, 2014, 06:19:30 AM »
I need to know if anyone has the best brand flour and what do you use it for. For example, do you only use KA bread flour for bread or is there another brand you like better for bread. AP flour-which brand do you like? Do you prefer bleached or unbleached?  How about whole wheat? Do you buy in 5 lb. bags or do you have a source for larger quantities? Recently, my breads have been very, very coarse instead of soft and fluffy. I am on empty in my flour bins so I'm trying to figure out what to replenish them with. Interestingly, I did make one batch of bread with sourdough starter, cracked wheat, molasses, and it was the fluffiest bread I've made in a while. To make sure it was a good recipe, I immediately made another batch and same thing--yummy fluffy bread. I doubt it is my flour that made the previous coarse bread but I really can't figure this one out.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Flour
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »
I use Central Milling's Artisan Baker's Craft Unbleached White Flour.  Why?  Because it's the only kind of UNbleached flour I am able to find in larger quantities.  I'm not stuck on it being this brand, but for now, that's what I can get unless I want to buy 5 lb bags.  I use unbleached because of the bromination process used to bleach white flour.  Bromination is horrible for the thyroid, among other things.  We also grind our own wheat berries for some foods (pancakes, waffles, some breads) when we want whole wheat.