Author Topic: Makeup  (Read 3062 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Makeup
« on: March 30, 2014, 08:15:27 AM »
I don't wear a whole lot of it, so I feel like I can splurge a little on what I do use.  I'm not a "brand name" person at all but, rather, spend my money on brands considered safer (EWG has lists if you need them).  So I've been using Lavera liquid eyeliner ($20) and love it because I can get such a thin, precise line.  In Target the other day with no plans to purchase makeup, I happened past an e.l.f. area and noticed liquid eyeliner for $1.  The container looks pretty much the same as Lavera.  I tried it out Friday and it goes on about the same, looks the same, wears the same, etc... .  So now I'm thinking that surely that itty bitty amount isn't too crazy dangerous (right????) and maybe I should just switch to this until we're back out of debt.

Another thing I've done to save money is use the Walgreens' and manufacturer's coupons when Walgreens runs an Almay sale and am able to get very inexpensive eye shadow (my older girls love to wear shadow...I rarely do) and mascara.

Anyone else have something you've found just as nice in a cheaper brand?  Or have any of you tried the DIY healthy tinted moisturizer/base recipes?  I have some bookmarked for when my current Lavera tinted moisturizer runs out but have yet to make it.

Catherine

Offline fishermanwife

Re: Makeup
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »
I don't wear much makeup but when I do I like the almay smart shade liquid (foundation? maybe what it is)lol. And then I do mascara and yes to carrots colored lip balm. I'm going to look up the Lavera brand bc about 2 weeks ago I bought a Covergirl lash blast mascara and eye liner duo package and my eyes just itch like crazy to the point where I cant wear it so I'm afraid to think about what's in it or how it could harm my eyes.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 11:46:42 AM »
I only wear makeup when I HAVE to.  Never at home, so I don't buy a lot of it. Not really familiar with the brand you named, but I am always concerned with what is in it.  When I do I buy the BARE MINERALS in the kits.  I just get the main foundations kit, a mascara and eyeliner and lipstick.  I buy mine from Sephora (it's been a while since my last purchase, but I think they have free shipping).  As far as price goes, it is probably pretty high compared to the main brands, but I just don't want all that "stuff" being absorbed into my skin. :P

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 01:21:33 PM »
I love wearing makeup!  I play with it often and will sometimes put it on even if I'm not going out anywhere, so I've tried quite a bit of what's out there.  I tend to spend my 'fun' money on skincare and then buy mostly inexpensive/drugstore makeup brands.  You make a great point, though, should probably pay more attention to what's on the ingredients list!

EYES
Over the years I've found that I like Maybelline eye products best, particularly their 'Falsies' mascara (NOT the waterproof formula, though).  I use (and love!) NYX eye shadows after getting a large 'neutrals' palette for Christmas.  My big splurge is Bobbi Brown Corrector for under-eye circles.  It's $23 for a tiny little pot, but it works like magic!

FACE
I use a Cover Girl + Olay Tone Rehab 2-in-1 foundation usually, and a Maybelline mineral powder.  Both are fairly light.

LIPS
Love, love, love the L'oreal Colour Riche lip stain, but more often than not it's just playing Burt's Bees mint balm
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:31:55 PM by MissMandy »
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 10:01:09 PM »
I'm like Mandy, I love make up. And have to agree, I tend to buy maybelline/covergirl a lot and do not really read what the ingredients are. Maybe I should....
Catherine, I purchased the E.L.F. black liquid eyeliner, just to try it. I do like it.
I also use the Falsies mascara. I love it! For my lips, I use gloss mostly.  And I like the lip plumping kind. For foundation/powder I use Covergirl.
I do think I should start buying skin care products. I've noticed that I have more acne at 35 than I did in my teen years. Could be because of the ingredients in all that make up that I said I didnt read lol
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 01:18:14 PM »
Kohls started carrying a good brand of mineral makeup.  Have been out forever, but what I was using is too expensive to replace it right now. I have felt too guilty to buy any lately because of the price, but I am so chemical sensitive it is about all I can tolerate.  This brand is almost identical to what I was using and lots cheaper.  Just ordered it.  Yay!!! :) :) :)  I finally will have make-up again! ;D  Now I just have to learn how to apply it again, most of them come with instructional dvds.  Haven't had make-up in so long, I am almost turning cartwheels here ladies! :)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 01:38:55 PM »
Kohls started carrying a good brand of mineral makeup.  Have been out forever, but what I was using is too expensive to replace it right now. I have felt too guilty to buy any lately because of the price, but I am so chemical sensitive it is about all I can tolerate.  This brand is almost identical to what I was using and lots cheaper.  Just ordered it.  Yay!!! :) :) :)  I finally will have make-up again! ;D  Now I just have to learn how to apply it again, most of them come with instructional dvds.  Haven't had make-up in so long, I am almost turning cartwheels here ladies! :)

Enjoy it, Lindsay!

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 05:30:54 PM »

Offline Rooney

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 04:51:31 PM »
I just started using Southern Magnolia's mineral make up

http://www.smmcosmetics.com/natural-skin-care/?price_min=0&price_max=20&sort=featured

So do you like the makeup from here?  If so, what products would you recommend?  I only ordered lip and eye stuff from Pur Minerals last time, so I still need stuff.  Watched The Human Experiment on Netflix a few days ago and they were linking all sorts of stuff to chemicals in cosmetics, so I am definitely looking to go completely organic with this now.  So are Southern Magnolia's products any good?  I really just like to have a liquid foundation and little bit of a mineral powder, lip stick/gloss, and eye shadows/pencils, so it isn't like I will be ordering a whole lot.

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 05:18:21 PM »
I just started using Southern Magnolia's mineral make up

http://www.smmcosmetics.com/natural-skin-care/?price_min=0&price_max=20&sort=featured

So do you like the makeup from here?  If so, what products would you recommend?  I only ordered lip and eye stuff from Pur Minerals last time, so I still need stuff.  Watched The Human Experiment on Netflix a few days ago and they were linking all sorts of stuff to chemicals in cosmetics, so I am definitely looking to go completely organic with this now.  So are Southern Magnolia's products any good?  I really just like to have a liquid foundation and little bit of a mineral powder, lip stick/gloss, and eye shadows/pencils, so it isn't like I will be ordering a whole lot.

I have used the eye shadows, primer, corrector, toner and face wash so far and I really like them all.  The face wash and toner are are a little on the small side for the price (aren't they all, lol) but it works well.  I am pleased with their products, especially the eye shadows.