Author Topic: Meat slicer  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Cheryl

Meat slicer
« on: April 08, 2014, 01:07:43 PM »
I would like to buy a meat slicer.  There's a store near me where I can buy bulk deli meat and I would like a way to get the very thin slices for sandwiches.  I've been using an electric knife but can't get the thin slices I want.

Does anyone have one or could recommend a brand?
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Meat slicer
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 07:30:32 AM »
No personal experience with this, Cheryl, but it is something I've been thinking about as well.  I was looking at this one as suggested on The Prudent Homemaker blog:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058VCYWS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0058VCYWS&linkCode=as2&tag=theprudhome-20

She seems to like it.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 03:23:19 PM »
Thanks for the link.  That one has pretty good reviews, much better than some I've read about. 

Right now this is more of a want than a need.  I've been using my electric knife but I want the very thin deli slices sometimes and there's no way I can do that with a knife. :D

Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 03:41:33 PM »
I know, for me as well.  I'd like to be able to choose the quality of meat we want and deli slice it, rather than paying the big bucks for deli-style meats.  So I think it's something we'll do eventually, just not immediately.

Offline wrancher

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 12:23:16 PM »
Not sure but around here you can buy , say a ham and just hand it to the meat man and they will slice whatever thickness free of charge and here is the best part---- they have to clean up the mess! ;) :D

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 01:45:22 PM »
Not sure but around here you can buy , say a ham and just hand it to the meat man and they will slice whatever thickness free of charge and here is the best part---- they have to clean up the mess! ;) :D

Yes, they will do that here too in the grocery stores but the place I'm finding the deals doesn't offer that.  I agree that it's always nicer when someone else cleans up the mess! :D
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline wrancher

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 04:09:57 PM »
I honestly want to buy a meat slicer too! But if I have the oppurtunity I am going to take advantage of having someone else slice it. I hate cleaning those things . Course the one I had was a cheap one and wasnt the greatest. Very dangerous.  I want to take like a roast or steak and have partially frozen while raw and thinly slice. Then when I cook it it would be tender for like a philly steak sandwich. that is what I have in my mind not sure it would work.

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:24:18 PM »
I have one and love it.  It's adjustable and I can do paper thin meat or make it thicker and slice bread on it.  I can't remember the brand off hand.  I'll find it in a bit.
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Noora

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 01:22:03 PM »
Following. I hope to buy a meat slicer, too! :)