Author Topic: I changed my chicken order.  (Read 2315 times)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
I changed my chicken order.
« on: April 10, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »
I just talked to Cackle Hatchery. They have amazing customer service. I have never had any trouble with this company, and we have always had great luck with their poultry. Well, I was doing some research on raising poultry mainly free range. I read more than once that if you want to free range your chickens NOT to get white chickens. They are like a white flag fitting around to predators.  :o I never even thought about that. I had ordered 10 White Rocks. Yikes, as Kevin said, no point in fattening up the coyotes, raccoons, foxes, hawks, and owls that we have around here.

So I have spent the day doing research on chickens, again. LOL I called Cackle Hatchery to see if I could change my order. They said, no problem. I kept the 5 Rhode Island Red pullets and 5 Black Australorps pullets, but I changed the 10 straight run white rocks to 5 s/r barred rocks, 5 s/r New Hampshire, and 5 s/r Welsummer. Oh, I am so excited about the Welsummers. I have wanted some of them for a while and decided to treat myself.  ;D They lay dark chocolate colored eggs and are such beautiful chickens. I just couldn't resist getting a few. Of course, now I owe the hatchery 16 more dollars, but so worth it. I know we are saving money for the funeral, but I need some fun too, right?  ;) I kept the same shipping day of May 19th. That gives me plenty of time to get things ready. The brooder house is basically ready, just need to lay down some wood chips and clean the feeders and waters again. I will wait till about a week before they are due to do this.

So now instead of 20 chicks, I have 25 chicks coming, but I am going to have such a colorful and beautiful flock. I can hardly wait. Kevin said we only need about 12 hens to over winter, but he never messes with them, so who's counting. LOL

I also checked out one of our incubators and it works. So I will start saving eggs at the end of next week. I will set these about the 28th of April. We will be raising these to put in the freezer.  :D At least I have something to look forward to this summer.  :P

Blessings,
Winona
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:38:12 PM by MoWin »
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: I changed my chicken order.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 06:39:06 PM »
Sounds like fun, Winona!  We have loved Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks and I hope to have both again.  Wish you were closer; I'd give you our one remaining Welsummer.  Not a fan of them from the two we've had but maybe we just got bum ones...I know different bloodlines can make very different birds. The roosters sure are pretty (Kellogg rooster is a Welsummer).  It will be fun to see pics of your babies!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:55:25 AM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline calicogirl

• Buddy
Re: I changed my chicken order.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 06:21:33 PM »
I wish we could find some Welsummers, or Cuckoo Marans around here. We've had Black Austalorps before, and have 2 now. They are great mamas. Looking forward to seeing pics of your babies when they arrive!

Teresa
Teresa in North AL
Married to Greg
Mom to Brandon,Heather,John,Amy,Melanie,Trey and Joel
Step Mom to Peggy
Nana to Elizabeth,Brianna,Joshua, Raylan and Olivia
Fur-mama to 2 dogs and 2 cats
Feather-mama to 2 parrots and 27 chickens