Author Topic: Dog food  (Read 3405 times)

Offline bobbie78

Dog food
« on: April 16, 2014, 12:35:11 AM »
I have a 9 year old chihuahua, Punkin. She loves the Cesar dog food. While its cheaper than some of the dog food I've seen, it's still kinda pricey. I just checked on Sam's website (where I normally purchase it for 17.00 a 30 pack) and it has jumped up in price-again.  I've tried other types of wet dog food (and dry, moist) but she really doesnt like it. Can anybody suggest a food that is similar to Cesar, yet cheaper that I could try? ty.
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Dog food
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 07:33:35 AM »
This site rates dog foods by quality of ingredients.  http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/wet/  We're currently using 4Health canned (at TSC).  It is only a 4 star but cost is prohibitive right now for most of the 5 star ones with two larger dogs.  They might be more affordable with a little dog.  :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:50:09 PM by greyhoundgirl »

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »
We use Kirkland dry dog food (4 and 4.5 stars too.. nice! Thanks for the link Catherine!)  I have a recipe for wet food that you make and can yourself that I want to try.  Our dogs love wet food but its more of a treat for them.  we call it their "slop", LOL.

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:19:14 AM »
Punkin used to eat the harder food. But a few years ago, her buddy died (my other chihuahua) and she stopped eating. I tried everything! And this Cesar was the only thing she would even touch. So I keep buying it. But its getting a bit too pricey. Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:57:49 AM »
Instead of trying to find a different food, could you maybe keep buying Cesar but try to get some other benefit from your purchase?  Petco has their Pals rewards program and and auto-replenish program, or maybe Amazon's auto-replenish would save you a little?  Our grocery store also has the gas point rewards program, and rotates through pet foods every few weeks, so maybe you could sign up for that and just stock up?  Are big cases from Costco/Sams Club/BJs any cheaper?

As the new mommy of a pup who eats 10-12 CUPS A DAY, I feel your pain (in the wallet)!  ;D

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 01:43:23 PM »
Our daisy is a Cesar's lovers too!  I split it half in the morning and the other for the evening.  We keep dry kibble out, she loves Rachel Rays chicken dry.  Cesar's does get expensive but she enjoys it so!
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus

Offline Cathie

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 08:11:59 AM »
Trader Joe's dog for only 3 1/2 stars  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ that's disappointing

Offline Cathie

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:14:54 AM »
Trader Joe's dog for only 3 1/2 stars  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ that's disappointing

never mind - I am feeding her a different food then what they have listed so I feel better  ;D