Author Topic: Bunny Rabbit  (Read 2458 times)

Offline fishermanwife

Bunny Rabbit
« on: May 16, 2014, 07:18:58 AM »
I agreed to take in a bunny rabbit from some people who didn't have time for it, was told it came with a big cage and was friendly. Well right before my brother brought it over for me from his friends house he informs he that it an inside bunny and litter box trained. Well it kept the dog barking all night bc it was playing with its toys and I woke up to the padding on all 3 levels of the cage mangled and out of place and poop on all 3 levels not just the bottom where litter box is. Are rabbits inside animals,is this a good idea? Im thinking at the very least taking his cage apart bc its huge and making one for inside and one for the porch when weather is good. Its very sweet but is living in my kitchen and doesn't smell the best. It is really nice and acts like a cat rubbing its head against you,any ideas are welcome, thanks.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Bunny Rabbit
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 08:50:55 AM »
They can definitely be inside animals and I've heard of many who are litter trained.  We tried with our first but he didn't full grasp the concept, lol.  We haven't tried since, honestly.  Ours were indoors for awhile but ended up moving out due to smell and kids not wanting to change the cage enough (which was part of the deal).  However, Zoe does love attention so we bring her in sometimes for a couple of hours just to hang out.  If you do move him/her outside, with the heat here in OK, just make sure to have a means for it to cool off.  Someone who raises rabbits told us to freeze 2 liter bottles and put them out for the rabbit to lay against or near during the hotter parts of the day and it really seems to help them.  We have a few just for this purpose and just switch them out.  They will naturally burrow if given a place but can easily get out of their enclosure that way.  A friend we got some from made a special outdoor area for them with fencing going a couple feet under the ground so they could burrow but not usually end up out.  :P

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 11:57:58 AM »
Several years ago, I had an indoor bunny. It did not work out for me. Marcus was a sweetheart, but oh boy, did he smell! I cleaned the cage regularly, but could still smell him. We ended up putting him outside. Truthfully, I think he was happier. My rabbits are in a hutch with wire all around. They seem very content. At the moment, I have feed sacks stapled to the sides and back (I am so much of a redneck! LOL) because it has been so cold here this week. As soon as it warms back up, I will take the sacks off. We will put plywood on the sides and back this winter. I also freeze water bottles for the really hot days. They will stretch out right beside them. Rabbits can handle cold much better than heat. Good luck.

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »
Thanks so much for the advice! I will have to remember about the water bottles bc it does get scorcing hot here. I went to town and found a plastic thing to go in the bottom of the cage so I think that will cut down on the smell a lot by being able to clean that bc they had a thin board on bottom and it was holding in the smell. His cage will be smaller now 24 by 24 with 2 levels but he will also have one the same size on the porch nice days and a small portable one for when I am sitting out in the grass with him. These people were using cat litter should I keep using that or use some rabbit stuff they had all types of stuff at the store.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 06:31:35 PM »
I use pine bedding as litter for my bunny.  I've never had a problem with smell.
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)