Author Topic: Tuesday, May 20, 2014  (Read 1062 times)

Offline wrancher

Tuesday, May 20, 2014
« on: May 20, 2014, 06:27:40 AM »
Good Morning

Offline wrancher

Re: Tuesday, May 20, 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:03:49 AM »
Too many interruptions getting kids out the door.  Today is nothing exciting. Lots of bookwork, dishes and laundry. More mowing and need to go check cows and put out more mineral and salt. I will actually cook lunch since Ross and Megan are home today. Not sure what yet.  Tomorrow I will be gone so need to get organized (if possible ha) We still have a few cows left to calve/ Not many/ Now it is brandings, planting, spraying,etc.  Need to go check and see how much some insurance will be for calves.
Have a great day
Janice

Offline 4kidsmom

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:21:48 AM »
Good morning!

It's going to be a lovely day today.  Temps in the 70s.

Today's work is finishing up the laundry and doing the ironing.  I'd also like to get started on a dress for my daughter.

I'll continue working on my list of "here and there" projects.  I've also got some stuff to do for the youth activity tomorrow.

I will also clean out the front flower bed and get it ready for some new plantings.  I had daffodils there, and some tulips from the previous owner.  They haven't bloomed in a couple of years so last year I dug out all the bulbs but apparently I missed some because we have more this year.  So it's all coming out!  I'll mix in some compost to help make a better growing medium and then off to the nursery to buy new plants!  I may wait til this weekend to buy and plant the new stuff as it's Memorial Day weekend, which means no school, no work, and no soccer games.  I'll buy my vegetable plants at the same time too.

Have a great day!

Merilee

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 11:41:18 AM »
Good afternoon,

I have had such a busy morning. I think a nap may be in order this afternoon.  :P I got up early and made me a smoothie. I used a kale leaf instead of spinach along with a banana, strawberries, Greek yogurt, slivered almonds, cinnamon and organic honey. It was so good! While I was cleaning the blender, the post office called. My chicks had arrived. So my smoothie and I went to pick them up. They are so cute. I also had more chicks hatched out in the incubator this morning. So far 36 out of 50 eggs have hatched. I have one in the bator right now, but I think that is it. I never noticed any more eggs pipped.

I did it! I sent an order this morning for ducks. I figured I'd have trouble convincing Kevin to get more, but he said as much as I do around here, I deserve to raise something for enjoyment. Now I was not crazy about our last ducks. They were so nervous and afraid of everything, so I have been doing research. I had to order a minimum of 15. I ordered 4 Anconas, 4 Cayugas, 4 Welsh Harlequins, and 3 Fawn and White Runners.  ;D All of these breeds are supposed to be calm and good foragers, except the runners. I couldn't help it. They are so dog gone cute, I had to have some. They are good foragers, but a bit nervous. I am hoping the other ducks keep them calm. All of these breeds are good egg layers.  Ideally I will get one drake and the rest hens from each breed, but that probably won't happen. LOL I had to order straight run. So I get them as they come from the incubators. I won't keep too many drakes because they are too rough on the duck hens, just like too many roos are on chicken hens.  ;)

After I got all the chicks in the brooder and fresh water and feed for them, plus took care of all the rest of my animals, I headed to the garden. About 3 hours later, most of it is weeded. At least what is up good enough for me to weed. I hoed around all the tomatoes, tomatillos, eggplant, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts. Kevin took the Mantis tiller and tilled between the rows. He also finished hilling the potatoes with the Troy and hiller attachment. I don't know how he does it. Now he is off to work for at least 8 hours and I am pooped. LOL

I fixed me some brown rice to add to my chicken stir fry. So I guess I should eat before it gets cold. You all have a great day.

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline calicogirl

• Buddy
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:49:29 PM »
I'm glad you got to get some ducks, Winona. I have never heard of Cayugas, so I looked them up. They sure are pretty! We had Indian Runners years ago. They are fun to watch.

Teresa
Teresa in North AL
Married to Greg
Mom to Brandon,Heather,John,Amy,Melanie,Trey and Joel
Step Mom to Peggy
Nana to Elizabeth,Brianna,Joshua, Raylan and Olivia
Fur-mama to 2 dogs and 2 cats
Feather-mama to 2 parrots and 27 chickens