Author Topic: Refreshing tired couch cushions  (Read 2644 times)

Offline 4kidsmom

Refreshing tired couch cushions
« on: May 20, 2014, 08:38:12 AM »
I have a couch with the kind of cushions you lean back on that can be removed, not attached to the couch itself.  They're looking kind of tired and limp.  There's a zipper enclosure on the bottom of the cushions.  I was wondering, if I bought some fiberfill from a fabric store and stuffed it in with the old fiberfill--would that help perk the cushions up and make them more firm?  The couch is about 9 years old and for 2 years it was our only couch.  So it's seen a lot of use but it's still in good shape.  Just the cushions look kinda sad.

Would this idea work?

Merilee

Offline Rooney

Re: Refreshing tired couch cushions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 09:46:56 AM »
We have a newer couch now, but when our old one got looking shabby from the kids being too hard on it, I bought some slipcovers.  They come in just about every size, color and patterns imaginable.  Some of them are actually washable too.(which was a plus for me) I was able to get a couch and love seat cover for about $100 and they lasted for years.  I did not attempt to actually redo the cushions, because I am not near that crafty. ;)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »
I would think you could do that just fine.  This lady's blog has some posts about her cheering up an old couch she thrifted.  First link is to her post about the initial "re-do" and the second link is to her more recent post about fixing up some slouchy looking cushions.

http://www.assortmentblog.com/assortment/2010/12/becoming-home-a-slipcovered-sofa.html

http://www.assortmentblog.com/assortment/2013/02/a-slip-covered-sofa-revisited.html

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 08:18:01 PM »
I would also think that adding a layer of foam would give a nice, even top layer. Then you could fill in the rest of the cushion under the foam with fiberfill. Fabric stores like Joann's have foam in a variety of thicknesses.

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!