Author Topic: Could someone tell me why........  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Rooney

Could someone tell me why........
« on: May 20, 2014, 09:53:15 AM »
My straight eight cucumbers have only 1 female bloom on them. (it is already a cucumber) but the rest are just hundreds of male blooms?  I was reading that it could be the nitrogen level in the soil, or that the male blooms just appear first.  This is the second batch of cucumbers this has happened with.  We can't pollinate them with only male blooms! :P  What is the deal? ???  Any ideas?

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Could someone tell me why........
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 11:45:14 AM »
I have found this to be true for all cucurbits.  Usually, we have the male blossoms for at least a few weeks before female ones appear.

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 12:26:41 PM »
It has been years since I planted cucumbers, and I always planted the pickling kind, so I am not much help. I will take note, though, when my pickling cucumbers come up and bloom.   ;)  Are you going to make pickles this year, Lindsay? I am itching to try my new crock out. :D

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 02:21:32 PM »
I have found this to be true for all cucurbits.  Usually, we have the male blossoms for at least a few weeks before female ones appear.

Good to know it is maybe just a waiting game because I have lots of cuke starts that are about ready to transplant.

It has been years since I planted cucumbers, and I always planted the pickling kind, so I am not much help. I will take note, though, when my pickling cucumbers come up and bloom.   ;)  Are you going to make pickles this year, Lindsay? I am itching to try my new crock out. :D

Blessings,
Winona

Ha Winona!  At the rate I am going now, it would be making A pickle! LOL ;D  Besides, I have never made them before and that is one of those things I am nervous to try.  If we get the cuke growing right, I may have to try it though because we all love both dill and bread and butter.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 09:32:19 AM »
You were right Catherine, we now have lots of female blooms too and even a few small cukes!  Thanks! ;)  There must be enough fan wind or bugs in there too because we didn't pollinate them.