Author Topic: recipes for hot days  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Mountain Mama

recipes for hot days
« on: June 03, 2014, 05:36:53 PM »
So what do you make for supper when it is too hot in the house to cook and cooking outside isn't an option? 

~Blessings~
  Cindy

Offline gaggleofseven

Re: recipes for hot days
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 06:13:11 PM »
Cindy, we've been having sandwiches, pasta salads, lettuce salads, cole slaw, fruit salads, jello, etc. Can you use the crock pot?

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Mountain Mama

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 07:01:51 PM »
I can use the crockpot and that my be a good option.  I wish we could grill outside but because we live in a high fire danger area it isn't allowed.  Salad sounds really good right now so I may do more of those.  Hot food doesn't even sound good in the heat.

~Blessings~
  Cindy

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 08:09:27 PM »
I've been using my crock pot to cook up a lot of chicken, then I dice that and put the cooked chicken in the freezer to add to salads and pasta.

Tonight I used my rice cooker--rice in the bottom, sliced smoked sausage and drained canned green beans in the steamer basket. It was really good. Then I can use the leftover cold rice for stir fry in the electric skillet which also doesn't heat up the kitchen.

What about scrambled eggs, stuffed eggs, breakfast burritos heated in the microwave to melt the cheese, etc. Do you like breakfast for dinner? Pancakes, turkey bacon, fried eggs, etc. are good, too.

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline wrancher

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 08:35:04 PM »
Cindy I took my big electric roaster and put it on my deck. I put a lasagne in a huge pan and it came wonderful I was so impressed. I know my friend baked quick breads in hers. Not sure if that is an option for you though

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 09:04:27 AM »
I put my grill to use! I will grill some chicken and steak and slice them thinly. Refrigerate it until dinner, then put together tortilla wrap sandwiches with raw veggies and the chicken/steak all mixed together. Throw in some salsa and boom! dinner is served. Crock pot comes in handy and tonight will be crockpot spaghetti. Keep the ideas coming because I'm watching this thread carefully. My house is quite warm in the summer and so cooking in the kitchen gets to be very hot. I have a screened in porch but that is hotter than the kitchen.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 09:37:01 AM »
I have not used my oven in weeks, not even the stovetop.  I use my electric skillet.  I also use the crockpot, the toaster oven, and mainly the grill.  Sometimes I use the microwave but not often.  I don't even keep it in the kitchen.

I have an electric kettle that comes in very handy.  I use this to heat water for tea, ramen noodles, even pasta when I make pasta salad.  When the weather turns warm, we tend to eat a lot more sandwiches, wraps, and salads. 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 03:12:33 PM »
We grill a lot (though that's outside), and inside I often out my crockpot to use, or even my toaster oven (since it's just two of us).

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 04:53:08 PM »
Does ice cream count?  :D  We're in our first week (for this year) of 100+ degree temps and I feel like doing absolutely nothing except lying under a fan.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 06:49:43 PM »
Does ice cream count?  :D  We're in our first week (for this year) of 100+ degree temps and I feel like doing absolutely nothing except lying under a fan.

Works for me!  :D
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 04:53:46 AM »
Ice cream counts for us so it can count for you, too!  😊

Denise

Offline Cathie