Author Topic: Update on our animals  (Read 1322 times)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Update on our animals
« on: May 30, 2014, 08:51:51 PM »
   Penny had her babies this morning. I don't want to disturb them, so will wait for pictures till they have fur and their eyes open. She seems to be a good mama. She is nice to me, but I can tell she is nervous when I mess with the nest box. I believe there are at least 6-8 babies. Hard to tell just by feel. I can sure see the hair moving, though.  ;D
   I still have 63 baby chicks, who no longer look like babies. I will try to grab a picture of them tomorrow. I have an Australorp pullet that I just love. (Since I only ordered pullets of the Australorps, I am assuming this is a pullet. ;)) Anyway, it comes up to me and lets me pick it up and nuzzle. So cute! The others all run away.
   I have a hen missing tonight. I saw no signs of feathers. Then I remembered hearing a grouchy hen this morning. I didn't really think much about it at the time, but now I am guessing she has gone broody and is hiding. That is not something I want, since  a predator can get her if she isn't safely locked up at night. Oh well, not much I can do about it. I will mark the calendar and hopefully in 21 days she will turn up with a brood of chicks.  ;D
   Copper should have her babies by Tues. or Wed. Since she is a first time mom, not sure how things will go.  :-\
   I really think both Anthony (guy I bought the rabbits from) and Kevin are wrong about Dano. I  think Dano is a Dani. I checked again yesterday. He/she is about 11 or 12 weeks old now, and sure looks like a girl to me. Not sure whether to be excited or disappointed about this.  :-\ I really wanted a good quality buck, but a good doe would be great too. I will wait a bit to bring this up to Kevin again.  ;) If Dano is a girl, it will mean building another hutch and getting a buck or saving one from ours.  :D
   Kevin plans to help me get the wire wall built for my ducks on one side and the older chicks on the other once they are old enough to move. I hauled out 2 trailer loads of stuff from that shed. Kevin plans to till it into the garden this fall. My ducks are supposed to ship on Monday, so I will probably get them on Tues. Kind of excited.  ;D
   Well, that is an update on all our critters. I share pictures when I can.

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Update on our animals
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:19:23 PM »
Congratulations on the babies! 

Offline Cheryl