Author Topic: Backyard project making progress  (Read 4604 times)

Offline Rooney

Backyard project making progress
« on: September 09, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »
For the last 9 months or so our family has been trying to complete a backyard project.  In hopes to lower our food bill and maybe eat a little healthier, we are putting up a backyard greenhouse.  For the last month or so life has seemed to get in the way, but this weekend we finally got the drainage system most of the way installed with the help of many little "helpers". Since we are having to do all the labor ourselves, putting up the structure and getting it functional is taking longer than we anticipated.  It seems like we will never get to the growing inside.  When we do get to that stage I am sure that I will need advice from you more experienced gardeners as this is all new to us.  Three quarters of it is going to be set up in aquaponics and that is totally new to us.  Anyway here are some pics.

Offline gaggleofseven

Re: Backyard project making progress
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:58:35 PM »
Wow Lindsay, this is great! What will the square footage be? It looks very large. You are doing a great job!

Blessings,
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Rooney

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 09:05:39 PM »
Thanks Jennie :)
As for the square footage it is 1440 square feet, but with incorporating vertical farming we are hoping to get more out of it.

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »
Wow, that's fantastic!
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 06:11:15 AM »
Oh, wow!  That looks great!  I have always wanted a greenhouse!   :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 06:51:54 AM »
That is awesome!  You will be able to grow a lot in there.  Are you intending to grow veggies to sell, or is it for your family? 
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 06:30:16 PM »
Lindsay, I am in awe. I would love to have a greenhouse. This looks like an amazing set up. Please continue to share pictures with us as you get it up and going. I just love this. Good job!

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Rooney

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 06:54:40 PM »
That is awesome!  You will be able to grow a lot in there.  Are you intending to grow veggies to sell, or is it for your family? 

No we are not going to be selling anything.  This is strictly a thing for our family in an attempt to lower our food bill and eat healthier.  It is going to be mostly done in aquaponics, so the fish will be nice too.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 06:58:31 PM »
Lindsay, I am in awe. I would love to have a greenhouse. This looks like an amazing set up. Please continue to share pictures with us as you get it up and going. I just love this. Good job!

Blessings,
Winona

Winona
Thanks so much!  I will post pics of the progress as hopefully the progress picks up.  It is slow going sometimes because dh does have a day job.  However, he is getting more help than he knows what to do with from all his little "helpers".  They are more than interested in "helping" Daddy.

Offline calicogirl

• Buddy
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 10:04:56 AM »
So cool! I would love to have a greenhouse. Y'all are doing a great job! Looking forward to seeing more pics as you make progress.

Teresa
Teresa in North AL
Married to Greg
Mom to Brandon,Heather,John,Amy,Melanie,Trey and Joel
Step Mom to Peggy
Nana to Elizabeth,Brianna,Joshua, Raylan and Olivia
Fur-mama to 2 dogs and 2 cats
Feather-mama to 2 parrots and 27 chickens

Offline Rooney

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »
Thanks Teresa!  It is supposed to be beautiful here this weekend with a high in the low to mid 70's so hubby has intentions on getting something done on it.  Maybe I'll have some more pics to post after the weekend. :)

Offline Rooney

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 01:57:53 PM »
Hadn't posted any pictures of the greenhouse progress in a long time.  We are where we have the cedar raised beds up and running and the start area going OK.  We have started putting the aquaponics beds together and are getting ready to put the filters on.

I will post the pictures in 2 separate posts since it doesn't load very many at once.

One of the start areas and a garlic and onion bed (already harvested the radishes out of it):
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:21:22 PM by Rooney »

Offline Rooney

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 02:24:28 PM »
One of the kale beds:

Offline Rooney

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 02:55:54 PM »
Will try to get some more pictures to post later today or Wednesday.  My computer is lot letting them load properly right now. :P

Offline Momtoseven

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 03:56:52 PM »
Lindsay,

Your plants are absolutely beautiful.  We are in the process of putting up a high tunnel to extend our growing season.  We, too, are trying to lower our food bills and have gardened for years.  I am happiest when I am out in the garden.  Looking out at about fourteen inches of snow right now makes me really hope for spring to come soon. )  Hopefully, next year at this time we will be able to harvest some things that we have overwintered.

Again, it looks wonderful!