Author Topic: Wednesday, June 18, 2014  (Read 1608 times)

Offline wrancher

Wednesday, June 18, 2014
« on: June 18, 2014, 06:06:01 AM »
Good Morning

Offline wrancher

Re: Wednesday, June 18, 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 06:07:42 AM »
Fixin to take Allison into town to catch ride to a 3 day basketball camp in another town. I need to get some groceries and run a few errands I will check in when I get back.

Coffee time
Janice

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 06:26:23 AM »
Good morning, Janice & everyone!

Another hot, humid day here.  I can take the heat but the humidity just seems to drain me.  I'd like nothing better than to sit in front of the air conditioner doing absolutely nothing, but I can't. ;)

I need to run into town and buy a few groceries, then when I get home I need to make more pickles.  My cucumbers are loving this heat more than I am!  I also need to do something with all the zucchini and yellow squash. 

Since it's so hot, I don't really feel like cooking but people still like to eat. :)  Hopefully tonight I can come up with something quick & easy and without heating up the kitchen.

Have a great day!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Cathie

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 06:45:50 AM »
morning ladies

I am off to work in my garden a little bit and be shark bait for those darn mosquitoes  ;)

have a great day everyone 

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 08:05:19 AM »
Morning Ladies!

Also hot and humid here today.  Weren't we all just complaining about the ice and snow?!

Today should be fun!  Jean finished a job yesterday, so he's taking today off.  We got up early (well, 6:30...sleeping in for us!) and had breakfast together, then I went out and cleaned the yard so he could mow.  He finishing up with that now while I do some NSA work.  Our Annual Conference is just two weeks away, and it's here in DC, so we're getting SUPER excited!

Later today we're going to have lunch in town at my favorite Thai place and then maybe head to Sweet Frog.  Jean also needs to pick up some spark plugs or something from Advanced Auto.  I would also like to stop by the little farmers market on the way home.  After that I think my boss (the ED of the NSA) is going to 'Skype shop' in my closet for the upcoming conference.  We wear close to the same size, so I'll set up the iPad in our office and Skype her in so she can pick out a few pieces to wear.  It's so awesome working with/for people you become great friends with!

Other than that, not much happening!  I'm intentionally getting everything done this morning so we can just enjoy our time together this afternoon.  Not even sure what's for dinner tonight.  I was thinking meatloaf, but with today's heat that just doesn't sound appetizing!  Oh well, I'll figure it out.

Have a wonderful day!

Mandy :)
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 09:43:40 AM »
Good Morning Everyone!

Today is finally a home day so we are taking it easy doing just a little laundry and cooking. We have all been drained from having 1-3 baseball games a day with 3 kids playing. This looks like it should be the last week for 2 of them until august gets here so we will get a little break. Have a great day everyone.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 10:50:46 AM »
Good morning,
   It is hot and humid here too, but can't really complain when we get to the last half of June before the heat and humidity hits.  :D I worked in the garden for about 1 1/2 hours this morning. I now have all the melons, squash, cucumbers, and pumpkins weeded. I need to get those done because they are starting to vine. I have been working in the garden as much as I can, but the mosquitoes are terrible. I was out there last night and was killing 5-7 each time I swatted. I doubt I will go back tonight. I am one big itch right now. LOL Kevin asked me what happened to my back. It is covered with red bumps. Well duh! LOL
   I cleaned all the water bottles/containers this morning. I try to do that once a week, more often with the ducks.
   I have had a discouraging week around here. Last Wed/Thurs I had 25 more baby chicks hatch out. I took them down to the brooder Thurs. afternoon. I went to feed and water them on Friday morning and they were all gone.  :o I ran back to the house to get a hoe and flashlight. I was thinking snake, but how does a snake eat 25 baby chicks? I dug around in the bedding and found my babies. They were all piled up in a run that I found along with rat droppings. Huge rat droppings. I saw where rats had eaten a hole through a corner of the outside door to the brooder that I never use. Well, I spent all day Friday cleaning out the shed and putting hardware cloth on the outside and inside of the door. I think I have it tight now, but I am just not in the mood to try again.
    I thought everything was fine. I went down yesterday morning and found where rats had tunneled under the shed my ducks are in. They killed one of my Anconas. Ok, that meant war. I dug down all around the outside of the shed. I put hardware cloth down a little over a shovel deep and fastened it to the shed. I covered the corners of the shed with hardware cloth. Then I took tin left over from roofing our little house and put that over the hardware cloth. I filled the dirt back in. Not good enough. I already had a special rodent box with a hole just big enough for rats to get in. I filled that baby with rat bar bait. Let them suckers eat their fill! I stuck this just under the eave of the shed close to where they tunneled under. None of our other animals can get to the poison, but I sure hope these rats have a fiest!!! >:(
It cost me $40 for the hardware cloth and poison, but so worth it, if it saves my babies. I worked almost all day yesterday on this.
   Between the work on sheds and the garden, I am wiped out. I am spending the day sitting in the ac working on Hayley's quilt.

Oh, by the way, I had no idea that we even had rats around here. Kevin told me that any time you have livestock, you have rats. Well, bummer. I plan to keep this little rodent box full of bar bait.

You all have a good day, and if you need me, I will be sitting in the rocker with a quilt on my lap and the ac cranked up. LOL

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »
Yes, Winona, unfortunately Kevin is right about the livestock/rat issues. We live in a decent area. Not a place one would think of rats being around. But when we moved here, we found droppings in the shed. We bought this stuff and didnt see any for a while. BUT, they do come around. So we just keep the stuff out at all times. Our neighbor has cows and horses. And we were told that anytime livestock is close, so are the rats. ICK! Praying they dont get any more of your babies!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.