Author Topic: Procrastination  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
Procrastination
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:34:10 AM »
I am the world's worst procrastinator.  Ok, maybe not the worst, but i rank high up there.  This is a topic I wanted to touch on today as I have been struggling a lot.

Procrastination is simply putting low priority tasks ahead of high priority ones.  What are some of the reasons we do this? 

• Fear.  We fear that the task will be unpleasant
  • Perfectionism.  We want to wait until we can do the task perfectly
  • Laziness. We just don't feel like it or feel that too much effort will have to be put forth. We live in a too cushy society.
  • Can't make up our minds.  Indecision can prevent us from starting a task because we feel we need a plan from beginning to end.

"The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing." Proverbs 20:4.  How many times have we had missed opportunities due to procrastination? Have we let something go bad in our fridge due to not wanting to deal with it? (guilty here) Have we not learned as much as we could because we put off a lesson or reading?  Has a problem ever grown from procrastination?  That faulty thermostat that turns into a broken head on a car... a small leak in a roof that becomes a hole? 

What are your excuses that make you put off what should be done today?  What are you avoiding and why? It is merely habitual? Think about these things as you plan out your day and week.  Think of the rewards of your finished tasks.  Then, do it now. Remove that stress and do it now.  It's rarely as bad as we think it is.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:03:00 PM by Shelly »
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Proudmama

Re: September 10, 2013 - Procrastination
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 05:28:52 AM »
I struggle with this as well.  Perfectionism and a touch of laziness are my main issues I think.  Forgetfulness plays into it for me as well.  If I get involved in one thing, I often forget what else I had intended to do that day.  I try to make a daily to do list each day.  I do feel a great sense of accomplishment as I check off each thing I have done.  I try to put the really important things on top since I am often overly ambitious with my lists!  If something has been carried over for more than a few days, I make sure it goes to the top of the list so I do it.

Denise

Offline trlmom3

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 06:21:30 AM »
I agree, I tell myself there's always tomorrow and blow it off.  I need to get back to making a list like Denise. I like to see my progress by checking things off.
Laura
From Northern Michigan
Married to Rick
Mom to Nathan(Kayla), Tanya(Scott),Adam(Nicole)
Gramma to Aiden , Gabby, Isaac  and Sophia Rose born Mar 30 2015
2 dogs

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 07:06:55 AM »
I agree that making a list on paper is crucial.  If I try to do it in my head then I won't remember to do some of it.  Or I will remember but only when I am not able to do it at that moment, such as when I'm driving somewhere.  Forgetfulness plays a part in my not getting things done, but even when I do remember I tend to prioritize the wrong things and do the things I would rather do first and the things I don't want to do later,  Sometimes I spend more time and effort coming up with excuses to not do something than I would have used if I had just done the thing in the first place. Thank you for this post Shelly.

Blessings,
Andrea, who is suddenly remembering the peppers in the fridge that should have been pickled  yesterday. ::)
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline trlmom3

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »
Sometimes I spend more time and effort coming up with excuses to not do something than I would have used if I had just done the thing in the first place

Andrea, that's what I tend to do too :-[
Laura
From Northern Michigan
Married to Rick
Mom to Nathan(Kayla), Tanya(Scott),Adam(Nicole)
Gramma to Aiden , Gabby, Isaac  and Sophia Rose born Mar 30 2015
2 dogs