Author Topic: Fall gardens  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Cheryl

Fall gardens
« on: July 24, 2014, 06:47:23 AM »
Anyone planning a fall garden?

We want to plant turnips, lettuce, more cabbage, swiss chard, and some more things.

One year I planted yellow squash in September and that was the best squash we had.  It was late enough that the bugs didn't get into it but still had plenty of time to grow before the cold came.  I think this year I'll try it again.

I'd like to plant lettuce.  I was growing some red lettuce back in the spring.  It was good, but bolted fast.  I bought some Deer Tongue lettuce from an Amish lady and planted it in flower boxes that I moved into a semi-shaded spot.  It has been good all summer without turning bitter from the heat.  It has just now started to bolt.

I'm going to have to replant my garlic bed.  Something dug it up. >:(  I've had this bed going for almost 5 years and have never had a problem until now.  I found almost all my bulbs dug up and a lot of them on top of the ground.  I've been told that armadillos will dig like that but don't know for sure what got in mine.

If you're growing a fall garden I'd love to hear what works for you!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Re: Fall gardens
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:18:56 AM »
   We are trying something new this fall. Kevin built me 2 raised beds out of lumber we had on hand. He built it out of 2X6s. One is 3X10 and one is 3X12. He would have built them 4 ft wide, but I am too short to reach the middle if he did. LOL He stapled nylon cord in square foot grids on them. He tilled the area for them really good, then we added some aged manure and tilled it again. We placed these beds on the ground and finished filling them up. It is just garden soil so will have some weeds, but was really easy to plant. I planted green beans, radishes, kohlrabi, carrots, arugula, lettuce, kale, turnips, and zucchini. Some squares just have one seed, some have 4, and some have 16. Things are coming up great. We shall see how they do.
Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:40:46 AM »
Winona,

I have always envied those with raised bed gardens.  We have never had good luck because of fire ants.  What's the secret to keeping those things out?

Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 04:39:48 PM »
Sorry Cheryl,
   As far as I know we don't have fire ants up here. If we do, we haven't had any problems with them. Our beds are not raised real high, but even 6" boards and digging around the outside a few inches makes a big difference with bending, especially when you are as short as I am. LOL
Blessings,
Winona

Ok, I asked Kevin if we had fire ants and he said we do, although we don't call them that. LOL He called them 'pee' ants only he didn't say pee, if you know what I mean.  ;D When we have ants we use soapy water on them. I guess we just don't have a lot of trouble. I have read that cucumber peels will repel ants in your kitchen.  ;)
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »
Winona,

That is funny about the ants.  We have 'pee' ants too (I know exactly what you call them! ;D) but the ones we call that are a tiny ant.  These fire ants are mean.  They even get into my potted plants.  I guess different areas have different names.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn