Author Topic: Our life is changing.  (Read 2553 times)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Our life is changing.
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:26:59 AM »
Good morning friends,
   We have switched places. I told you all about Kevin having his job phased out. He has been looking, but no luck. Not many job opportunities around here, especially when you are 60.  :( I happened to be in Oregon the last week of July and picked up a local paper. It had an ad in it for help wanted at the Oregon Care Center (where MIL lived). I talked it over with Kevin and got his blessing, so I applied for the dietary aid position. The supervisor called last week and gave me the job. She had been a stay at home mom too, until her husband got sick. So she understood about me not having any work history. I actually know her. We are not close friends, but do know each other.
    I did the orientation, filled out scads of paperwork, and took the TB test last week. Today is my first day of work. I only work from 3 p.m. to 7:30, but I think that is best with me just starting out. Carolyn (my boss) told me one of the ladies wants to retire soon. Carolyn wants me trained and ready to fill her position, so I would then go to full time.  ;D
   This seems so weird. Kevin is staying home taking care of things and I am going to work.  :o He is getting paid his severance plus is signed up for unemployment. So we should do just fine. I am kind of excited about this, although a bit nervous. Kind of looking forward to this new chapter in my life.  ;) Please say a prayer that things work out for us. I would really appreciate it.
Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline pamgonzo

Re: Our life is changing.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 10:47:51 AM »
How exciting Winona!  Congratulations! 

How nice that you could find something that fits you so well!

I'm sure it will take some adjusting for both of you, but sending prayers that it will all work out the way you hope!!

Have fun with your new adventure!!  I'm sure you will be great!!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline wrancher

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »
WOW! Great news! Sounds like a fun job Winona! You will do great. Not saying it will be an adjustment but you will be fine after a few weeks. Good Luck to you both

Janice

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 12:24:18 PM »
Winona,

I am praying for you!  I think you will really enjoy this.  I know that the people where my Grandpa is are wonderful and lots of fun to be around and the residents really just want someone to talk to.  I think you are a perfect fit to love on them.   :)

Let us know how your day goes!

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 09:13:06 PM »
Winona,

This will be a big change, but I know you will handle it very well. Thinking of you as you make this transition!

Blessings,
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 05:59:19 AM »
Congrats, Winona.

Would it be possible for your hubby to find something there as well and then you could ride together? Maintenance?

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 12:04:05 PM »
   First day of work went well. I think I have the basics down, but it will take a while to get everything memorized and what resident gets what. LOL Everyone was very kind to me and helpful. I love the ladies I work with. They are all country women about my age. Now if I can just remember everything. LOL  ::)
    Kevin had supper ready for me when I got home. I told him that is not necessary, but I think me being gone has been kind of hard on him. I have always been here. He is doing all the household stuff. I got ready to do dishes today, then got sidetracked. When I got back to them, he already had them done.  :D

We have decided that we are not traditional homesteaders. We butchered rabbits this morning. Oh my goodness! It was horrible. I was in tears. Kevin almost was. We made a pack. We are not going to raise any more furry animals to eat. It is just too hard. I guess we have gotten soft in our old age. I respect anyone who can do this, we just can't. I have 2 rabbits left and they will die of old age or something, not from butchering. They are going to be my pets. I should have known we are both too soft hearted to raise rabbits and butcher them. Once we got started, we just finished it up because we never want to do this again! I will have nightmares. It will be quite some time before I can eat rabbit.  :'( Now Kevin isn't even too sure about the chickens. I think we will butcher them and not raise any more than what we need as layers. I will get my pullets picked out first then just start butchering. Not looking forward to this at all, but it shouldn't be as bad as the rabbits were.  :(
   Well, I need to start getting around. Just wanted to update you all. Teresa and Lindsay, I will try to get back to you in a day or so. I just ran out of time today.
Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »
Oh Winona, I was almost in tears just reading about the rabbits.  I couldn't butcher them either, so don't feel bad.

Congratulations on your new job!  Sounds like you work with a good group of ladies. 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline calicogirl

• Buddy
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 06:23:28 PM »
So glad your first day went well, Winona! You will do just great.

I could not butcher any animal, I'm just too big of an animal lover, lol. I have my hens for eggs, and any roosters that hatch, go live in Tennessee with Brandon.

love ya,
Teresa
Teresa in North AL
Married to Greg
Mom to Brandon,Heather,John,Amy,Melanie,Trey and Joel
Step Mom to Peggy
Nana to Elizabeth,Brianna,Joshua, Raylan and Olivia
Fur-mama to 2 dogs and 2 cats
Feather-mama to 2 parrots and 27 chickens

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 10:35:40 AM »
Wow, Winona, what a huge change!  Glad the job worked out for you and will be praying for you all with these changes.

Offline lovin my dogs

• Me and Grayson
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 03:04:01 PM »
Winona,
You have been on my mind so much the past several days.  I would find myself thinking....I wonder how Winona is doing.   
I'll admit....it feels strange to me to think of you working outside the home.  When I think of a homemaker...I think of you!! 
In saying that...I am also very proud of you for taking this chance and going outside of your comfort zone. 
Your attitude is so good about this.  I'm so sorry about Kevin's job.  I know this is a very hard thing for a man to deal with. 

I will lift you up in my prayers my friend. 
Please keep us posted on how you continue to do.

I love ya,
Cathy

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »
Cathy,
   It is so good to see your smiling face. Look how big that grandbaby has gotten! I have thought about you many times, but I knew you were busy helping with the grandson. I hope everyone is doing well. Yes, this has been a huge change for us, but I wanted to take some pressure off of Kevin and I felt like he needed a break. So far I am enjoying myself. He has made me promise to tell him if I ever get to the point of disliking it.  ;) He is a good man.
   How are you and Jon? Has he retired yet? How about Logan and Maddy and their families? Everyone doing fine?
   I have certainly missed you in the past year or so, my friend. You have always been so uplifting for me. Thank you for all the sweet words you had to say. Just continue to pray for us and I will for you and yours. Love you dear friend.
Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin

Offline lovin my dogs

• Me and Grayson
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
Thank you Winona.  It's good to be back with my friends.  I know that Kevin adores you and will make sure you stay happy.  Yes, Kevin is a good man.  You two make a very precious couple.

Jon and I are great.  He can retire in 3 years, if he's ready.  All the family is very well. 

I will for sure keep you guys in my prayers.  It's a pleasure to do that my friend.

I love you too,
Cathy

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 10:16:01 AM »
We were away on vacation and I have been having problems with my back, so I just saw this thread today.  I am so happy for you Winona!!!  I know you will be wonderful and everyone there will love you.  😘

Denise