Author Topic: Menu inspiration...help!  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Cheryl

Menu inspiration...help!
« on: August 23, 2014, 08:42:26 AM »
I am trying to plan my September menu but I'm not having much luck.  I try to base it on items already in stock, such as meats in the freezer and items I have in my pantry.

Where do you turn for good ideas?  I've got tons of cookbooks, recipes written down in notebooks, and I've been going through them all.  I am stuck.   :-\

Any favorite websites to use in menu planning?
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

shedrinkzcoffee

Re: Menu inspiration...help!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 09:12:38 AM »
Cheryl,

I usually use my cookbooks, Pinterest and some paleo websites that I read.  I can share those, if you like. 

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 09:57:18 AM »
For some reason I never thought of using Pinterest.  Thanks for reminding me!  I would  be interested in any links you could share.   :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 11:40:02 AM »
I find a lot of recipes on the Taste of Home site:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/

I signed up for the e-newsletters, too. I just downloaded about 15 new freezer cooking recipes to look at tonight.

Jennie
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:40:20 AM by gaggleofseven »
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 11:50:11 AM »
I too use Pinterest a lot.

You can put whatever ingredient you are wanting to use up into the search box, and come up with lots of ideas.
(ground beef recipes for instance).

I find it very helpful.  I'm sure you can use the search box that way in a lot of recipe/cooking websites.
Good Luck!!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 12:13:45 PM »
Thank you, ladies.  I knew I could count on all of you for some great ideas!   :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 02:58:46 PM »
Sometimes I bookmark recipes I'd like to try while browsing blogs.  I am learning more and more to go ahead and just print them if I'm serious about making them.  When I go to meal plan, I typically do it with a cup of coffee on Sunday afternoon so I can go sit without distraction.  I take whatever cookbooks I'm into at the time, usually 2-3.  On a piece of paper, I write down in one column all the fresh veggies I have in the house, followed by canned and frozen.  Then the same for fruits.  And then another colum for proteins (I include eggs, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and meats in this-sometimes my nut butters as well).  Looking at that, I try to see what I can make that uses as many of the fresh things that need to be used first.  I do dinners first in planning, and usually assign them a specific day based on our schedule, then come up with several breakfast ideas as well as lunches (I don't assign breakfasts and lunches to specific days unless I know of a reason, for example:  getting up early to head to OKC or camping, or some other extenuating circumstance).

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »
I'm pretty much a 100% Pinterest girl, here!  That, and I keep a running list of meals that we've had and enjoyed in the past, so I can also pull from that when I get stuck.

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥