Author Topic: Coffee cups/mugs  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Cheryl

Coffee cups/mugs
« on: September 16, 2014, 02:12:36 PM »
Would anyone mind sharing your favorite brand or type of cup for coffee?  I want something that will keep my coffee hot for longer than 20 minutes.  I want to avoid styrofoam and would prefer something with a lid.  I have lots of regular coffee mugs but they don't keep it hot.

Would stainless steel be the best for heat retention?

Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
Re: Coffee cups/mugs
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »
Funny you ask!  While not specifically answering your question (though I will, at the end), I am very specific about my coffee mug(s)!  On my first return trip to Ireland I picked up a mug in the airport - green with a little white sheep on the side, one on the inside, and one on the bottom.  I started using it as soon as I got home, even taking it to the university where I worked and using it there every day.  It lived on my desk and reminded me of that amazing trip.  Even still today, more than 5 years later, that is MY mug, and I use it almost every day.  I always joke with Jean that I can't live without that mug, so if/when it breaks, I'm booking a flight back to Ireland right away to get a replacement!  Oddly enough, by pure coincidence, my second and third choice mugs also both have sheep on them (one is a Northern Ireland/Giant's Causeway mug and one is a knitting mug).

Anyway, to answer your question, I put Jean's coffee in a reusable plastic mug, the kind with the screw on lid and just a hole to drink out of.  We specifically bought the kind that doesn't have any kind of snap or slide closure over the drinking hole, since I've found that it's just more stuff for coffee and germs to get stuck in.  All of this said, given the hole and the plastic material, they probably don't keep it hot for very long, though Jean guzzles coffee like there's no tomorrow, so who would know?!  If I were packing him coffee that I knew would sit for a while or that I wanted to keep hot, I would pack it in a metal thermos that had been primed with hot water.

Hope this helps!  Curious to see what everyone else uses.

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 05:06:32 PM »
My favorite for keeping it warm is the travel mug that came with our little Black and Decker one cup coffee maker.  Nothing fancy, and it's plastic, but it works.  I don't think it's supposed to be super great at maintaining temps, but I have noticed it keeps mine warm a lot longer than my traditional mug.  My mom bought us the nice Contigo cups a couple of years ago for Christmas but I HATED trying to clean them.  Too many parts much as Mandy mentioned that, IMO, could hide bacteria.  Earl still has his...mine is thrown out after a child used it and left it in the car because I wasn't convinced I could clean it well enough.

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 09:26:53 PM »
my husband just keeps a candle warmer on his desk and sits his coffee mug on it and it keeps it nice and warm

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 05:58:09 AM »
Mandy - I also have a mug that is MINE!!  Several years ago my oldest daughter gave me one with a cat on it.  I'm the only one who drinks from it.  I love it, but it doesn't keep coffee warm for long.

The next time I'm in town I think I'll look at the travel mugs.  I think I saw one made by Thermos that might do the trick.

Thanks, ladies!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline wrancher

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 06:29:41 AM »
I am also always looking for a better coffee cup. I have no good advice. I find the same problems as you guys. The lids after so long don't fit the same and harbor germs.  Waiting for the perfect mug.  I found a cheap one at shopko last year that is stainless  but the lid is plastic you screw on. So far that Is the only one I like. It does have a flap over drink hole but cleans easily in dishwasher.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 06:47:38 AM »
Erica ~ that's cool!!!!!!!!

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:08:05 PM »
I have a MiGo! It is stainless with a wide rubber band on the outside presumable to keep from burning my hands with the hot coffee inside. My daughter has a MiGo with a handle but not the wide rubber band and I like both of them. It has a slide closure if you want to close the hole.
I would say this thing keeps my coffee warm for at least two hours.

As for mugs for the home, nothing special although I do have an old glass mug that is MINE. It was a mail-in freebie once and had the words Cappuccino on the outside but that has since worn off.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 07:35:01 AM »
At home all mine have owls on them bc that reminds me of my grandma so of course it just magically stays hot and taste better lol. I do have a wonderful red stainless steel with rubber grip around it from Target in the car travel section if I remember right it is the BUBBA brand and I can take it to Dr apps and cone back to the car 2 hours later and still have coffee that will burn me and it has a tight lock get lid and drinking spout so when I turn corners if it falls it doesn't leak.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.