Author Topic: Fixing fences  (Read 2004 times)

Offline 4kidsmom

Fixing fences
« on: September 19, 2014, 06:46:46 PM »
I'm not quite sure if this is the right place as this is a building/yard question but gardening is as close as I can find on the boards for an appropriate topic. :)

I need to fix one of my fences.  The boards are nailed in and they are popping loose.  I am considering using screws instead of just  nailing them back in.  Just before we bought the house (7 years ago), one side of the backyard was re-fenced and the boards were screwed in.  They still look great.  So I think screws will help with my problem fence.

Is there a specific screw for fencing?  This fence is wood.  I am not sure what kind of wood it is but I assume it's whatever wood is available at the local home improvement stores.  Should I use galvanized screws or other screws labeled for outdoor use?  Is there a specific length recommended for fencing?  Any other advice?

thanks!
Merilee

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Re: Fixing fences
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 08:10:23 PM »
Merilee,
   I would go to Lowes, Home Depot, or Menards, etc, and look for deck screws. They are meant to be outside and are very tough screws. Just measure how thick the 2 pieces of wood are that you need to screw into. You don't want a screw longer that the 2 pieces of wood together because the point of the screw will stick out on the back side and they are very sharp. Our deck screws are gold colored with a square head instead of a Philips head. The little square bit that fits into your cordless drill are not real expensive. You are a lot less likely to strip the square heads verses the Philips heads. I hope this helps. We use screws for almost everything we build.  ;D
Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Cheryl

Re: Fixing fences
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 08:56:54 PM »
Merilee, I asked my husband about this and he said just make sure the screws are not longer than the thickness of the wood and to use galvanized.

Winona gave great advice!  :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn