Author Topic: Favorite cookbooks  (Read 1254 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Favorite cookbooks
« on: September 27, 2014, 07:43:56 PM »
I was wondering if everyone might post their favorite cookbooks, particularly any frugal-minded ones.  I know they are popular, but I am not a fan of ebooks for cookbooks.  I will personally look for any titles you share at my library.  Thanks!

Some of mine:

Not Your Mother's Make Ahead & Freeze Cookbook by Jessica Fisher.  I saw on Money Saving Mom that this gal has a new one out as well that looks good.

Family Feasts for $75 a Week by Mary Ostyn

I really enjoy looking through the More with Less Cookbook though I haven't really made much out of it in the many years I've owned it.  I also like my Betters Homes and Gardens cookbook from way back and use it for basics when I don't want to pull something up on the computer.

Offline Cheryl

Re: Favorite cookbooks
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 07:50:57 AM »
I'm not sure if you'd be interested in these, but I like the Make-a-Mix book by Marine Eliason, Nevada Harward, and Madeline Westover.  Another one like this is Make Your Own Groceries by Daphne Metaxas Hartwig. 

Don't Panic - Dinner' s in the Freezer (can't remember the author)

Fix, Freeze, Feast (can't remember the author)

Quick Fix Healthy Mix by Casey Kellar and Nicole Kellar-Munoz

I use the ones listed above for recipes to replace convenience food products and overly processed foods.  Hope this helps.

Fix It and Forget It (lots of slow cooker recipes in these)

Oh, I also use the Taste of Home cookbooks a lot.  I have several and the library has some too.  Others I use are a series of books put out by the Alabama Vocational Home Economic Teachers.  Your state probably has something similar. 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 01:00:17 PM »
I really rarely use cookbooks.  We are really just meat and veggie or easy pasta recipe people.  Most of the recipes I do use come from others, not cookbooks.  I definitely don't get into elaborate recipes or anything.  But when I do use them, my favorites are the one's I got at my wedding showers 15 years ago. 

I have the Better Homes and Gardens one that I like also.

The Four Ingredient Cookbook by Emily Cale and Linda Coffee (super simple stuff)

The only one I ever really use anymore would be the one my grandmother gave me that her homemakers group made compiling all of their favorite family recipes.  I like this one because it has all the stuff she used to fix in it.  :)

As for frugal ones, I kinda liked these few:
The Tight Budget Cookbook book by Heidi Smalheiser

The Use it Up Cookbook by Catherine Kitcho (I am bad about letting things go to waste sometimes :P)

Oh, I saw this one the other day, had to look it up again, but you might like it.
The $5 Dinner Mom Cookbook by Erin Chase.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 03:13:39 PM »
Looks like some good ideas here.  I haven't looked at the $5 Dinner Mom's book yet but love her site and meal plans.  And I used to love the Taste of Home cookbooks though I got rid of mine when decluttering...might be able to check some out at the library, though.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline Cathie

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 08:21:22 AM »
thanks for sharing

I don't really have many cookbooks -- although I have a nice collection of "french" ones  ;)

We eat pretty simply although I have often considered making our own cookbook with our own recipes in it, perhaps I will do that someday