Author Topic: Making it stretch  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Rooney

Making it stretch
« on: October 07, 2014, 08:12:25 PM »
Do any of you use anything to make hamburger meat stretch for making just plain hamburgers or meatloaf?  Any ideas other than oats or crackers (too salty)?

Offline Cheryl

Re: Making it stretch
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:21:30 PM »
My mother always used bread crumbs.  I use them too sometimes and have used bits of leftover vegetables grated up in the meat.  My picky eater doesn't even notice.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 07:26:01 AM »
My mom always used rice or cracker crumbs.   I tend to use rice or oats since both are cheap and gluten-free (for the times when I'm being careful with that).

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »
I have used fresh chopped mushrooms before.

I had to chop them really tiny to get them past my mushroom hater, but it worked! 
Good consistency too.

Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 06:54:04 PM »
I second the rice. I use it to bulk up my meatloaf. Its pretty tasty, too.
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:38:22 AM »
I always take the unused part of the bread (the ends, or the last unwanted slice) and blend them up into crumbs and put in a container to freeze. I just keep adding crumbs to that same container so whenever I need crumbs for meatloaf or breaded chicken or anything else that breadcrumbs can be used I always have a healthy supply ready.

I also use a lot of onions, carrots, breadcrumbs (or cracker crumbs) and just about anything to stretch meatloaf. I do like to mix meats also--like beef and seasoned ground pork or any other kind of ground meat. Sometimes instead of milk, I use beer and then make beer glaze or sometimes it will be using milk in the recipe and then a ketchup, brown sugar, mustard glaze.

I love meatloaf as an adult but I hated it as a child. I'm thinking the childhood recipe might have had oats in it or a package of that dry onion soup that just didn't do it for me.

This reminds me that I went out for lunch with my brother and parents on Saturday and Dad ordered meatloaf. It was the sorriest looking meatloaf I have ever seen. He almost needed a chisel to cut through it. I better make my dad a good meatloaf since he did say he likes it a lot. He also wants a butternut squash soup with a kick. Hmm, I'm thinking he needs a few meals.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 10:07:14 AM »
Another thought:

Alice has me thinking about meatloaf. 

When I make meatloaf, I use a package of stovetop stuffing mix. 
Just throw it in with the meat, an egg and I add a cup of ketchup w/ the stuffing mix.  It is a yummy & moist meatloaf, and my family enjoy it.  Not the healthiest of additions, but still enjoyable & inexpensive.

Pam 
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25