Author Topic: Chrsitmas 2013  (Read 7151 times)

Offline Sandlappersue

Re: Chrsitmas 2013
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2013, 03:12:52 PM »
We will buy something to assist in a closer walk with the Lord such as devotional materials, Patch the Pirate CDs, etc. Then perhaps small restaurant gift cards. Lastly, just something small they each would enjoy at about $30 per person. I think I will do stockings this year. I need to start "stocking" for that.  8)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2013, 04:43:35 PM »
We don't really know what to do for Christmas. We have been helping all three children through high school and college financially and I almost think that is a big enough gift in and of itself.  My youngest is a high school senior and we'll help her in her college endeavors also. 

Because we've always "done" Christmas I'm afraid they expect something but my husband also has not been working for 9 months (early retirement) so the income is a bit low right now. Oh, my 17 yo just walked into the room so let me ask her a minute.

She said "I don't need anything, no gift cards, nothing would be ok. The move to a different home is a good present." Wow, I didn't expect that!

I think we might be fine with no gifting this year! 

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 05:26:58 PM »
If it makes you feel better, my parents were super broke when I was 20. We all knew it was going to be a very meager Christmas. I found a Christmas tree for $10 and bought it. I think we were almost expecting no tree at all! :)
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »
Thanks Leah, it's not like we're totally broke but extremely careful because that tuition bill has to get paid before they can continue on to each semester. These kids/young adults never cease to surprise me with their level of maturity!

I do have a little Christmas tree from my college day that we can put up and a village and that should feel a lot like Christmas.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »
Caylon is completey finished.  She was so easy to buy for this year for some reason.  It seemed like everything she has mentioned liking over the past 3 or 4 months was on clearance or I found coupon codes to go along with the purchase.  I ordered her a sweater from Christopher and Banks and only paid .68!!!  Hahahaha....LOVE IT.

Now I've got to concentrate on Aaron.  He's a little more difficult. I'll start keeping my eye on the Northern Tool ads and also Harbor Freight.   

I think the grands will be easy....Evan will only be 9 months at Christmas so he won't know a thing, Holden will be 23 months and a few toys and books will suit him fine.  Lainey is really getting into reading so I think I'll go to Ollies Bargain Outlet and see what kind of books I can find her.  They usually have a huge selection of books at really good prices. 

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 06:02:10 AM »
Caylon is completey finished.  She was so easy to buy for this year for some reason.  It seemed like everything she has mentioned liking over the past 3 or 4 months was on clearance or I found coupon codes to go along with the purchase.  I ordered her a sweater from Christopher and Banks and only paid .68!!!  Hahahaha....LOVE IT.

Now I've got to concentrate on Aaron.  He's a little more difficult. I'll start keeping my eye on the Northern Tool ads and also Harbor Freight.   

I think the grands will be easy....Evan will only be 9 months at Christmas so he won't know a thing, Holden will be 23 months and a few toys and books will suit him fine.  Lainey is really getting into reading so I think I'll go to Ollies Bargain Outlet and see what kind of books I can find her.  They usually have a huge selection of books at really good prices. 

Beth

good for you Beth!!

Offline Cathie

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 06:03:39 AM »
so at a 104 days till Christmas I do have some things done - so progress

1) - stockings are done  ;) I have mixed feelings about this - I love the theory but the expense is not needed - we have 5 people to have stuff for and unfortunately rather LARGE stocking that I completely stuff - I'm guess I spend $200 or more on these - so this will be a HUGE savings

2) simplifying the decorations - I'm actually donating them as I go through them

3) some shopping done  ;D

still to do:

1) make detailed list of who I'm buying for
2) make a detailed but simplified Christmas to-do-list
3) make detailed baking list
4) detailed Christmas list to make list

Sammie has decided Stockings are NOT done  ;) she really wants to keep them so I am on the look out for smaller stockings and some small things to add to them

We will see

Offline Cathie

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2013, 01:38:54 PM »
68 days left

done:
typed up a simpler Christmas plan
have lots of wrapping and bags
some shopping done

need:
paper tissue
tape
smaller stockings - buy or make - leaning towards making
detail stocking list
detail shopping list
detail baking list with shopping list to go with it
finish shopping
budget for real tree - we buy from the boy scouts usually

Offline Rooney

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2013, 01:54:44 PM »
We decided this year to incorporate preparedness supplies in with Christmas gifts.  We did a little of this last year when my parents got all the kids warm snowsuits (at least 1 size too big so they would fit for a while).  This year they have already said they each want their own flashlights and new The Big One Blankets from Kohls.  Last year we gave both our fathers and my brother a hand crank radio/flashlight/cellphone charger and they loved it. 

Thought this would be good since I always plan to get some of these things at the end of every month, but the money is never there at the end of the month.  Of course we will still buy the toys and new clothes, but I am thinking some practical preparedness supplies might be good to throw in the mix too.  Anybody else doing this for Christmas?

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2013, 01:33:23 PM »
Lindsay, that is a great idea!! 
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne