Author Topic: Why I am not keen on making stuff this year...  (Read 3588 times)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Why I am not keen on making stuff this year...
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:01:32 PM »
I never thought I would think this way, but I sure am this year. I think we will just get together, have a meal and family time. We will still get gifts for the grandkids, but nothing major. I may still decide to make something for them. I just don't know.  :(

I hate to say this, but my grand children are spoiled rotten at Christmas time by their parents. They just don't appreciate home made gifts when they are getting all the electronic stuff and shiny new toys. I worked hard last year on jumpers for the girls and vests for the boys. All I asked was that they send me a picture wearing what grandma had made them. I received NOT one picture. I am not even sure if any of them even wore them. So you can see how I can be discouraged.  :( I know it sounds like I am whining, and maybe I am a bit, but we brought our kids up to appreciate everything they got. It saddens me that my grandchildren are not being brought up the same way.  :-\

Now after all that complaining, I will say that all the grandkids love the quilts I have made them, but I can't do that every year.  :o I made a fleece blankie for Ava when she was almost one. Oh my goodness, that girl will be 7 in Jan. and still will not go in the car or to sleep without it. It is her most prized possession. That does warm my heart.  ;D

Sorry if this was too much of a downer. I guess I just kind of needed to vent.  My feelings were hurt last year, and I am having a hard time letting it go.  :-[ This isn't really the grand children's fault. It is my own children who are spoiling them so, and not making sure they give proper thanks for any and all gifts. 

Shelly, if this is too much of a downer for the Christmas board, I will understand if you delete the post. No hard feelings, promise.  :)

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Rooney

Re: Why I am not keen on making stuff this year...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »
If it makes you feel any better I don't think it is just your grandkids that don't appreciate homemade gifts, I think it may just be kids in general.  Kids now and when I was little know what they want for Christmas a year ahead of time.  It isn't that they don't appreciate the homemade gifts but they are overwhelmed by all the other loud and shiny stuff.  I know that my parents sooo overdue when it comes to Christmas gifts for my kids I think because they feel that because of how many of them there are that we cannot possible meet all those wants.  But the truth is and I would never tell them this, but by March half of the toys are either broken or lost and my children do appreciate what they are given, remember exactly who gave them what and say thank you many times over.  Fact of the matter is kids love what they get from grandma just cause its from grandma, so smile and keeping making those gifts because even if they seem not to appreciate them now, they will when they get older :)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:02:03 PM »
 I remember my grandma making me things when I was about 6-7 and I remember not really caring for the gifts.  She had crocheted a vest for me and had sewn my some pants.  It was my age, though.  I didn't understand the time and effort and I was distracted by shiny new toys that my friends and I could play with.  When I got to be late teens and an adult, I appreciated these gifts a lot, especially once I was on my own at 19.  I knew my grandma wasn't going to be around much longer (she was 93 at the time) and it made me feel special that she had taken the time just for me.

In my knitting community we call those types of people, "not knit-worthy."  I can understand your feelings and it's ok to not make them anything until you are sure they will appreciate it.  My husband's grandma made things for her grandkids' hope chests, even the boys.  When they went out on their own, they were given those things and not one of them didn't appreciate it then.  I think kids got nostalgic when they leave.  Maybe just wait until they are a little older and can understand more?  Now, I'm saying this not knowing how old they are...it's possible they may just not ever appreciate them.  In that case, I'd just reserve my time and talents for those who do.  I'm sorry you feel badly and it is a shame.  (hugs to you)
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:00:31 PM »
Honestly, I don't want the boys grandparents giving them toys or the like. Please, give us your TIME. They are all so far away, so I just want their time connecting with the boys, not the gifts.

When we went to California in June, my dad spent an afternoon playing with Caleb on his tractor and fork lift. Caleb had a blast!!! That was the first time my dad really tried to connect with his grandson. He completely changed when he divorced my mom, and he has bought several expensive toys for the boys. Yet Caleb doesn't grasp who they came from, etc.

My mom has been a lot better about spending quality time with the boys. We love visiting her, and love the attention she gives the boys. :) It also helps that she is willing to childproof her house to some degree - a safe room for the boys to sleep in, locks on the backyard gate (Caleb was opening them otherwise), baby gate off her bedroom, etc. Any time Caleb sees a phone, he'll ask to "call Ama". My mom has been able to make a very strong impact on Caleb with just time and attention. I could not ask for a better gift.

It's a different story with my mother-in-law, and it just kills Chris to be coming home from visiting my mom, to stopping by for a day with his mom. She'll barely give the boys any time or attention, she gripes how we turn her house upside down. The last time we were there, MIL was finishing up her vacation and would only see us for a few minutes. Instead of saying anything about how she was sorry that the timing didn't work out to visit, all she said was "they better not break anything!!" Mind you, her vacation was with her two other grandsons that are the same age as Caleb, so we ARE being singled out, not a general dislike of children.

There's no amount of gift or money that can make up for that kind of attitude, not even handmade.
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie

Offline Cathie

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 05:49:48 AM »
I never thought I would think this way, but I sure am this year. I think we will just get together, have a meal and family time. We will still get gifts for the grandkids, but nothing major. I may still decide to make something for them. I just don't know.  :(

I hate to say this, but my grand children are spoiled rotten at Christmas time by their parents. They just don't appreciate home made gifts when they are getting all the electronic stuff and shiny new toys. I worked hard last year on jumpers for the girls and vests for the boys. All I asked was that they send me a picture wearing what grandma had made them. I received NOT one picture. I am not even sure if any of them even wore them. So you can see how I can be discouraged.  :( I know it sounds like I am whining, and maybe I am a bit, but we brought our kids up to appreciate everything they got. It saddens me that my grandchildren are not being brought up the same way.  :-\

Now after all that complaining, I will say that all the grandkids love the quilts I have made them, but I can't do that every year.  :o I made a fleece blankie for Ava when she was almost one. Oh my goodness, that girl will be 7 in Jan. and still will not go in the car or to sleep without it. It is her most prized possession. That does warm my heart.  ;D

Sorry if this was too much of a downer. I guess I just kind of needed to vent.  My feelings were hurt last year, and I am having a hard time letting it go.  :-[ This isn't really the grand children's fault. It is my own children who are spoiling them so, and not making sure they give proper thanks for any and all gifts. 

Shelly, if this is too much of a downer for the Christmas board, I will understand if you delete the post. No hard feelings, promise.  :)

Blessings,
Winona

awwww I'm so sorry honey  :-* I feel for you and this is completely understandable  :-*

I use my holders and make table topper everyday in the pool house and I always smile when I think you made it for me  :-* love it!!

I'll be praying for you  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:10:31 AM »
Winona, it is not just your grandkids.  They are bombarded with ads for whatever new toy is on the market and when they open the gift and get clothes they aren't as grateful as they would have been if they had got that new xbox.  Remember in the Little House books when Laura and her sisters would be thrilled at getting new mittens or a piece of candy or whatever small gift their parents could give them? They appreciated these things because they didn't have much to start with.  Today's kids have way too much to begin with so their expectations are really high.  I love the idea of making something for their hope chests, and giving it to them when they are old enough to appreciate them.  I hope you don't stop making things for them, because these things will be treasured in years to come, even if they aren't now. :)
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline Trudy in TN

• Loving Home
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 06:12:40 AM »
Winona,

I am so sorry that you feel that way.  I have relatives that I don't make things for because they don't appreciate it.  I like Leah's thought of this year just spending time with them.  I know they are spread out now.  Are you going to get to see them all this year?

I know I love the snowman quilt you made me.  It is displayed in my living room every year.   ;D
Wife of 29 years to David
Mom to Ian (26) and Rachel (24)
Mom in love to Brooke
www.lovinghome-trudy@blogspot.com

Offline Alana

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 06:29:50 AM »
I am so sorry  :(. It is hard to put so much effort into making  gifts and have them not appreciated.

I agree with the others..kids have too much these days. Mine included!!  We try so hard to make sure the kids appreciate and understand the effort that goes into making and choosing gifts for them and I still feel that they don't truly get it!  It is frustrating  and I pray that as they mature they develop a more grateful spirit.

Loving the country life in Canada!
Married to Sean
Mom of Brandon 20, Joshua 16, Evan 14 & Alyssa 11
Daycare 'mom' to 5 toddlers

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
Awwww, thank you all for understanding. I know I will continue to make stuff for them, just probably not at Christmas. I am thinking a surprise homemade gift at another time in the year would be better received.  ;D

I suggested to our kids that we have an old fashioned Christmas and only give gifts that we had made. Well, that went over like a lead balloon. LOL Out of 5 kids I only have one who is crafty, the oldest, Carolyn. She is big into crocheting. Cathryn does all the tailoring of their clothing, even Jeremy's suits, but does not enjoy crafts. Hazel wants nothing to do with sewing or using yarn. She does enjoy scrapbooking, though. Isaiah used to do woodworking, but he doesn't have any place any more. Jon is in to electronics. He even builds and repairs computers and game boxes, etc. He has never had any training, just picked it up on his own.  So,  I am pretty much alone in the making gifts department at our house. LOL It is ok. I think just getting all this off my chest yesterday helped. I feel better about things today.

Thank you for all the great comments. Love you all.

Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 08:43:22 AM »

I know I love the snowman quilt you made me.  It is displayed in my living room every year.   ;D

And I love the bag I won in a giveaway. :) I typically use it to carry my Kindle and journal.
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 09:05:05 AM »
That is an AWESOME idea to give them gifts at at time other than Christmas.  That way you are not "competing" with all the shiny new toys.  I hate to put it that way, but that is how it seems to be.  A spontaneous when they least expect it is sure to be well-received! :)
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline sbdriver

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 11:57:33 PM »
Winona my lighthouse quilt is displayed on the back of my rocking chair till I'm in it then it's keeping me warm. I think of you as well everytime I look at it  :)  :)

Laurie
Laurie
Many hands make light work

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 10:40:50 AM »
Laurie,
I was going through some of my pictures the other day and saw the lighthouse quilt. Made me think of you and smile. I am so glad you are enjoying it. Is it cold up there yet?  ;D

Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 02:15:24 PM »
I do agree it is partly the age and partly in what you're used to.  If the expectation is for storebought stuff, they probably don't understand the love that went into your homemade gifts.  It's sad.  :(  They will someday, though.

P.S.  I have my brownish fall patterned apron you made me many years ago.  It is still worn every week no matter the season.  It's faded now but still reminds you cared enough to spend that time making and sending it to someone you had never even met in real life.  :)

Hugs,
Catherine