Author Topic: Bread recipes  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Cheryl

Bread recipes
« on: October 11, 2014, 08:24:38 PM »
I am wanting to start baking most of our bread.  I have a few recipes to get started but am interested in any tried and true recipes you have.  I will be using a bread machine and the oven, so both types of recipes are welcome.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

Re: Bread recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 08:40:25 PM »
I use Crystal's whole wheat one from her site, the one that makes 6 loaves at once.  I just like to sub in molasses for the honey it calls for.  It makes a really "heavy" bread that is terribly filling.  I usually do 2 batches one right after the other, so it gives me 12 loaves each time.  Such a good bread.  My kids don't want store bought after they start getting spoiled on it. :) Doesn't she just have the best wholesome recipes for just about everything?

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 07:47:56 AM »
I have tried various recipes for the bread machine and ended up tweaking one to come up with the following recipe.  My machine calls for dry ingredients first, so I'll list them that way, but you could change that to whatever order your machine suggestes.

2 tsp yeast (or a packet, if you buy it that way)
3 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP gluten (it still comes out pretty good without this.  May quit buying when my current box runs out.)
3 cups flour (I have made with unbleached or with bran-removed but germ intact flour from Azure.  Thinking you could also do half white-half wheat with similar results)
1 tsp salt
1 egg
3 TBSP butter (or oil)
1 cup warm water (or 1/2 cup each milk and hot water--I do this combo if making it into dinner rolls, especially)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 06:31:00 AM »
I had originally posted this under Prepping your pantry a few weeks ago. Here it is again:

Cracked wheat sourdough bread

3/4 cup cracked wheat
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup margarine
2 T molasses
2 T honey
3/4 cup nonfat milk (this was confusing but I use regular fat free milk--not powdered)
1 to 1/2 cups sourdough starter
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 T. yeast
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 1/2 cups white flour

Pour hot water over cracked wheat in your mixing bowl. This doesn't have sit very long--maybe 5 minutes. Add the margarine in 4 pieces so it will melt. Add molasses and honey. Then add the nonfat milk, sourdough starter, yeast and salt.  Let this sit for just a minute to activate the yeast. Then add the gluten and the 2 cups whole wheat flour. Begin mixing and gradually add the white flour. You might not need all the 3 1/2 cups and sometimes you might need more so add it gradually. I always make sure to add enough to only get a sticky dough but yet it comes together in a ball.  I like a slightly wetter dough as that makes a better loaf. Let the machine run for 6 to 8 minutes to really develop gluten and the dough will come together in a nice soft ball. Put this in a greased bowl and let rise until doubled. Then lightly push it down and let rise a second time. After this I divide it into three pieces and place in well-greased bread pans. Let rise again. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

Sometimes I only make two loafs but I prefer three slightly smaller loaves.
Also, this recipe originally didn't use yeast nor salt but I felt I need to use both to make a good loaf.  We love this bread.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 12:50:28 PM »
I make this one.. super easy to make!

http://www.the-baker-chick.com/2013/02/no-knead-crusty-artisan-bread/

I added jalapeno and cheddar cheese to it on Monday and it was GONE!  They all loved it!