Author Topic: Potato chips?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Cheryl

Potato chips?
« on: October 16, 2014, 05:29:03 AM »
Does anyone here make their own potato chips?

I have a mandolin slicer so I could get the potatoes thin enough.  I'm just not sure about which oil would be best for frying, or if I could season them to make them taste as good as the ones we buy.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Re: Potato chips?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:55:25 AM »
I love potato chips. I tried to make them in the microwave since that is healthier BUT I think it burns out the microwave. Either that or the timing was just right that it gave up the ghost--not once but TWICE. They do make excellent potato chips in the microwave but it does take a long time and like I said, I think I burned out my microwave.

I'm not much into deep frying so I can't help with that.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 08:34:27 AM »
Alice, my microwave is on its deathbed and once it's gone we probably won't replace it. We have to leave it unplugged because it started turning itself on and pressing the power button on the keypad wouldn't stop it.

When you made your chips, did you soak the potato slices in cold water to remove the starch, then dry and cook?  I've read that it's supposed to make the chips crispier.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 09:30:38 AM »
It has been years since we've done it. I vaguely remember soaking them. You could look at allrecipes.com to find out more about making potato chips in the microwave. I'm not going to try it again.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats