Author Topic: Amazon Prime  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Rooney

Amazon Prime
« on: October 17, 2014, 01:50:54 PM »
A few days ago, one of you was talking about Amazon Prime.  I am looking for something inexpensive to give us new things to watch since we are going into winter.  Only problem is, I only want shows that I would deem "acceptable" both for the kids and us.  How does it work, how much is it?  And can you filter the "not acceptable" stuff out?

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Amazon Prime
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 10:05:15 AM »
Amazon Prime is $99 for the year.  It includes free two-day shipping on Prime items and you don't have to have the $35 minimum order to do it.  You could order a $4 Prime item and it would be shipped alone.  Not all the shows to stream on Amazon are on Prime, but you could go to Amazon and search for things you like on streaming and see which ones are.  Not sure about parental controls.  How we handled it was that I added things to our watchlist and the kids could pick from what I had added.  It was good for us the past two years, but we've decided we aren't ordering enough from Amazon to warrant the $99 cost, and there isn't enough left on streaming for free that we are interested in (we're pretty picky, lol).  They do change up the streaming selections so things come and go. 

Do you already have Netflix or have you tried that?  You can try it for a month free if not.  We're doing that for now (and had done it prior to the Amazon thing).

Offline wrancher

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 10:14:57 AM »
I have prime but really only for the shipping. I dont get to the city very often and even then it seems to be cheaper off amazon and I can have it in 2 days. I honestly have maybe only used the movie part a couple of times. I need to cancel netflix too as we now I have direct tv which is costing me a fortune! I need to call them on Monday and reduce my bill.  Thanks for the reminder ;) We honestly dont have alot of tv watching time. We tend to like watching Alaska the last frontier, Gold Rush, Deadliest catch,etc. We are weird. We really got it to watch football and I personally havent sit down to watch a full game. I usually have DD at a 2-3 day basketball tourney or we are doing something with cows

Janice

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 12:45:14 PM »
Thanks Cathrine and Janice. :)  I signed up for the free month of prime Friday.  You're right Cath, not much to choose from, except for the kids shows.  The shipping part would be beneficial for us.  I think I will try Netflix next month, then Vidangel the following. Only problem with all of it is we don't have wireless (don't want it) so we will have to get another modem for a computer on the "kids" tv.  May be worth it if we have a bad winter like they are saying, to have lots for them to watch. ;)

Offline Cathie

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 07:37:42 AM »
I know I am late on this but we have prime and love it

we bought a Roku on Beth's recommendation and watch shows off amazon all the time.  We enjoy it. We have been know to start a movie and then stop it and go ewwwwwwwwwwwww but it doens't really bother me as I am not paying for the shows I don't care.  We do watch quite a bit of tv shows and I like that I can add things to my watch list that might not be amazon prime but my loop back in sometime soon again and then I watch them

I use the prime for shipping which is why we got it in the first place.  So the tv stuff to us is just a bonus

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 01:58:02 PM »
Prime also has a monthly pay option too.. $9.99 a month. 

Offline wrancher

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »
I sent the roku with my college daughter. I also got it with Beth's recommendation.  ;)

Offline Rooney

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 04:50:31 PM »
I sent the roku with my college daughter. I also got it with Beth's recommendation.  ;)

I had to look up roku?  I am so behind the times. ;)

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 06:39:43 PM »
We have 3 Roku boxes, LOL

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 03:12:55 AM »
 ;D ;D

Whew, I'm glad everyone likes the Roku.

We have had our Roku for years and it is used daily. One of the buttons on our remote quit working due to overuse so we downloaded, for free, a Roku remote app onto our tablets and they work perfectly.

Pretty sweet  :)

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 09:15:43 AM »
We have also had them for years.  One is one of the original Roku boxes and it still works like a champ!

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 08:18:07 PM »
Doug bought me a Roku for Christmas last year.  I have been so grateful for it since I hurt my back.  It has really helped to keep me sane (well somewhat!). 

Denise